Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Steven Bourke <st...@ucd.ie> on 2010/08/18 13:59:29 UTC

javax.persistence missing?

Hi,

I've been using the compiled version of mahout 0.3. I now want to work from the source package so that I can incorporate some changes and so forth.

Previously I just associated the JAR files from the compiled version of mahout with my IDE (Netbeans). It appears this is not so straight forward with the source package. I've never used MVN beyond the install commands so don't really get it (Package manager of types).

So I followed the instructions on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/BuildingMahout

After completing the steps on the page I do the following -

I go into the core, math, util ,collections directories. I associate the high level JAR's and dependencies with the project. However when I try a rebuild of the project I get told javax.depenciy is missing. Are there libraries that are in the mahout 0.3 compile which are not in the source package?

Re: javax.persistence missing?

Posted by Steven Bourke <st...@ucd.ie>.
Ah this appears to be a ctrl-space mismatch! Everything is fine, nothing to see here.

On 18 Aug 2010, at 14:01, Drew Farris wrote:

> I'm not sure where that javax.persistence dependency is coming from, I
> don't see it locally. Perhaps it is related to Steven's build
> environment? Steven, could you provide any additional details about
> the error, for example which class or package (core, examples, etc..)
> is the source of the problem?
>
> As Sean points out the most important thing about Maven's dependency
> management mechanism is that it not only resolves direct dependencies
> on various packages but also transitive dependences, or packages
> depended upon by the packages that mahout depends upon. So for
> example, if javax.persistence was needed it would be pulled in
> automatically. I don't use Netbeans personally, but I've heard the
> maven integration it provides is very usable. You can read more about
> it here: http://wiki.netbeans.org/MavenBestPractices
>
> That said, the binary release should have all of the dependencies you
> need packaged along side of it. You can package a binary release from
> a checked out copy of the trunk by doing 'mvn clean install -Prelease'
> from the command-line,
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maven defines the entire build, including dependencies. It's the build
>> system of record, and should manage all this.
>>
>> You can use an IDE but it really has to have Maven integration to make
>> this work seamlessly. IntelliJ does and Eclipse does, and I assume but
>> don't know if Netbeans does. (And, I should say I strongly recommend
>> IntelliJ's free edition of the 3.)
>>
>> Without it, yeah, setting up the dependencies is manual and bound to
>> break regularly. You're getting some form of this error and it'll keep
>> happening if you don't use Maven.
>>
>> (Although I must say I wonder where we get a dependency on javax.persistence?)
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Steven Bourke <st...@ucd.ie> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using the compiled version of mahout 0.3. I now want to work from the source package so that I can incorporate some changes and so forth.
>>>
>>> Previously I just associated the JAR files from the compiled version of mahout with my IDE (Netbeans). It appears this is not so straight forward with the source package. I've never used MVN beyond the install commands so don't really get it (Package manager of types).
>>>
>>> So I followed the instructions on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/BuildingMahout
>>>
>>> After completing the steps on the page I do the following -
>>>
>>> I go into the core, math, util ,collections directories. I associate the high level JAR's and dependencies with the project. However when I try a rebuild of the project I get told javax.depenciy is missing. Are there libraries that are in the mahout 0.3 compile which are not in the source package?

Steven Bourke
Clarity Centre for Sensor Web Technologies,
Science North,
School of Computer Science & Informatics,
University College Dublin.

Re: javax.persistence missing?

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.