Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org> on 2017/10/11 07:05:41 UTC

Re: Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for OpenWhisk

On 2017-06-10 09:37, Isabel Drost-Fromm <i....@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 07:48:40PM -0400, Rodric Rabbah wrote:>
> Please also make sure to track the impact these sessions have on your
project's reports.

You've been running the video sessions plus summary for a while now.

I'm really interested in a retrospective on what the impact on the
community is. Do people not on the call feel like they can follow the
project? Did you manage to engage new contributors through these sessions?
How did you manage to incorporate feedback from those not participating?

Isabel

Re: Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for OpenWhisk

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...My one concern is that it does take time and effort for the host to organize - and
> whether we’ll continue to have volunteers to run them...

Indeed, that's why at the ASF we insist on everything important
happening on this list - sustainability, with minimal effort (beyond
Precise Quoting ;-) from all involved.

That being said, it's great that currently people are available to run
these calls and take notes!

-Bertrand

Re: Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for OpenWhisk

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
I’ve not made the last two but have read the call logs to see what I’ve missed out on.

My one concern is that it does take time and effort for the host to organize - and whether we’ll continue to have volunteers to run them. I think that’s the biggest indicator in my mind of the calls’ worth. I commend those who have run the calls already - some more than once.

-r

Re: Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for OpenWhisk

Posted by Tyson Norris <tn...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I find calls easy to review AND to prepare for (in only a couple minutes, thanks Matt, for setting up consistent call settings!), and I also find there is consensus that discussion can happen but decisions will go to the list (with any pertinent discussion details). We can do better to announce this more explicitly on the call (I didn’t yesterday, not sure about last call), but regardless I believe we have been good about following this approach (reserve decisions for PR/issue discussion and email list)

I find the calls immensely helpful to surface a subset of topics that are easily, but more tediously, available already in some other form on dev list, commit comments, and PR discussions.

Tyson

On Oct 12, 2017, at 8:48 AM, Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>> wrote:

The calls seem very valuable for the reasons Michael cited; however, doing
a "play-by-play" seems to be a bit resource intensive and overkill...  the
video recording has 100% fidelity and all topics of significance are taken
to the dev list.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org<ma...@openwhisk.apache.org>
Date:   10/12/2017 04:17 AM
Subject:        Re: Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for
OpenWhisk

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>>
wrote:
...Do people not on the call feel like they can follow the
project?...

As someone who's mostly lurking so far I feel I'm losing some
information by not attending those calls - especially because it looks
like they are great exchanges ;-)

Something that might be worth trying is sending several messages to
this list during the call, one per "important" topic, with a subject
like marker like [call] and a brief summary of what was discussed,
action items etc.

Something like (just a fictional example of course :-/ )

***
[call] Rewriting the core in Visual Basic

We discussed this during the call (9:30 to 9:45 PST) and people fell
like we shouldn't do it right now.
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.proofpoint.com%2Fv2%2Furl%3Fu%3Dhttps-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk_issues_2841%26d%3DDwIBaQ%26c%3Djf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg%26r%3D6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw%26m%3Dl84nzpLZFr0gIf49HNtBCLETb7U0xkx2k43IaYD8PPU%26s%3DlPmPM0sQEm_f4ujFkTAzT0PdrbzEGELKDEwZLGizeyo%26e&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca124f14efaf9466b036f08d51188b8d9%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636434201269193015&sdata=SPFHDD7BhA9i1aNj6QZLSUpIM0hVm3anKXOSMaj2IyI%3D&reserved=0=
is related as well as
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.proofpoint.com%2Fv2%2Furl%3Fu%3Dhttps-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk_pull_2850%26d%3DDwIBaQ%26c%3Djf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg%26r%3D6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw%26m%3Dl84nzpLZFr0gIf49HNtBCLETb7U0xkx2k43IaYD8PPU%26s%3DvUWNbLBdtAZmLcofAtyeTzO7jgbH76rhr3rY19nvzJM%26e&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca124f14efaf9466b036f08d51188b8d9%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636434201269193015&sdata=JG7b3vEpyl8XbDjDMGnQIcJ5ZqZyZjtg%2BkdGKPy5ho4%3D&reserved=0=

***

Having the approximate times in there helps review the discussions in
the video recording.

I *think* this might be more useful than a set of notes (or
complementary maybe), it brings awareness of the calls here and it's
probably quick to write during the call.

That's just a suggestion, of course whoever does the work gets to decide.

-Bertrand

Re: Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for OpenWhisk

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   10/12/2017 04:17 AM

wrote:
> ...Do people not on the call feel like they can follow the
> project?...

As someone who's mostly lurking so far I feel I'm losing some
information by not attending those calls - especially because it looks
like they are great exchanges ;-)

Something that might be worth trying is sending several messages to
this list during the call, one per "important" topic, with a subject
like marker like [call] and a brief summary of what was discussed,
action items etc.

Something like (just a fictional example of course :-/ )

***
[call] Rewriting the core in Visual Basic

We discussed this during the call (9:30 to 9:45 PST) and people fell
like we shouldn't do it right now.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk_issues_2841&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=l84nzpLZFr0gIf49HNtBCLETb7U0xkx2k43IaYD8PPU&s=lPmPM0sQEm_f4ujFkTAzT0PdrbzEGELKDEwZLGizeyo&e=
is related as well as
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk_pull_2850&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=l84nzpLZFr0gIf49HNtBCLETb7U0xkx2k43IaYD8PPU&s=vUWNbLBdtAZmLcofAtyeTzO7jgbH76rhr3rY19nvzJM&e=

***

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Do people not on the call feel like they can follow the
> project?...

As someone who's mostly lurking so far I feel I'm losing some
information by not attending those calls - especially because it looks
like they are great exchanges ;-)

Something that might be worth trying is sending several messages to
this list during the call, one per "important" topic, with a subject
like marker like [call] and a brief summary of what was discussed,
action items etc.

Something like (just a fictional example of course :-/ )

***
[call] Rewriting the core in Visual Basic

We discussed this during the call (9:30 to 9:45 PST) and people fell
like we shouldn't do it right now.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/2841 is related as well as
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2850
***

Posted by Rob Allen <ro...@akrabat.com>.
Hi,

I agree with Micheal and I like the calls and find them useful too. I've been unable to attend a few lately much to my chagrin and have found the video and written notes great. However, I think the detail in the write up is especially helpful as it's accessible and also searchable.

Regards,

Rob...