Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by sducas <sd...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/25 09:09:20 UTC

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Hello, all

I'm currently implementing the transfer order becasue I need it for a
customer..

The requirement was: Inventory transfer has to be picked in the facility
just like a sales order..

So I added to role: InternalSupplier and InternalCustomer and an OrderType:
TransferOrder..

WHen the transfer order has been picked then it can be shipped and when it
is the InventoryTransfer is posted..

If someone is interrested with this feature please let me know and I'll post
the component..

THX

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
It looks like it would be interesting to see that as a specialpurpose components. Feel free to create a Jira post a patch (or a zip)
and I'm sure some will review and test...

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
you should have the pick list created from the po.
the beauty of ofbiz is you can reuse services.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

sducas sent the following on 2/2/2011 2:31 AM:

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by sducas <sd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Paul: I'm using the transfer shipment patch from SI for what i'm doing now
but it's not enough because my customer needs to pick those orders just like
a sales order...So i use it on backend of my transfer logic order..

The sum up for the moment is:

Transfer Order is created and approved -> The order is picked (just like a
sales order) -> (optionnal) the pickbin is verified -> the transfer order is
shipped (with a transfer shippment) -> when the transfer shippment is marked
as delivered the goods a receipt in the store facility (finally I don't use
the inventory transfer but issuance and reception for the same transfer
order)..

For now it seems to be a workable approach (i will send the patch as soon as
it get useable enough).

BJ: I think I understood what you are suggesting but if I use only PO hen
inventory transfer I can't see how the hub will be able to pick the PO (I
guesse only SO are pickable OOTB in ofbiz).

THX for your answers.. I will definitly post the patch as soon as it get
ready so you will have the feature exactly like my customer wants it (but
maybe not perfect with noral business rules).

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I agree I just assume everyone knows that,
but it is good to remind.
:D

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 2/1/2011 6:26 AM:

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi sducas,

Yesterday I missed earlier posts on this thread mentioning
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-352. This may be all you need if
it's not part of your procedures to have a formal sales order/purchase order
matching inventory movements.

Assuming you *do* need an order to initiate the shipment, I have doubts
about your option 2, i.e. clone a purchase order from the sales order and
vice versa, for the following reasons.

- How many invoices should be created if divisions of our organisation pay
real money for transfers? Surely the answer is one. Two orders would be
likely to bring on two invoices.

- Similarly, two orders would be likely to bring on two separate shipments
and two separate payments for what is really one and the same
shipment/payment

- Any change to either of the cloned orders must ensure a corresponding
change is made to the other

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by sducas <sd...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paul,

I understand that i will have to customize ofbiz to fullfill my customer
needs..

I guess i have two options:

1- I define the transfer order (instanceof OrderType) and i customize the
sales order UI to work with my new type of order (that the option i work on
at the moment) the pros for this solution is to isolate those order from
sales or purchase order, that way would be easier to get correct statistics
without having to customize them a lot, this option also prevent me to write
seca conditions for invoicing orders..

2- I create a Purchase Order for each Sales Order and also the contrary
(because goods can by ordered to the store by the store itself OR by the
hub).. I would maybe prefer this solution if ofbiz has any existing service
that can help me to do so..

For now I'm working on the first option but if anyone think this is not the
correct way to implement the business flow.. please let me know...

THX Paul for your answer!

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
In your exact situation (transfers between two divisions of an organisation
where the same Ofbiz system is used by both), there is really no such thing
as a "purchase" or a "sales" order, just an order. Whether it is a purchase
or a sale depends on the perspective of the user.

Fundamentally, the Ofbiz data model has this right. There is just one Order
entity. However, there are several places in Ofbiz that give different
behaviour depending on the order type. A quick way to see this is to grep
for SALES_ORDER. One that has been a specific problem for me is that sales
tax only applies to sales orders. In countries that have a VAT or GST, tax
applies to purchases as well. To my mind, looking at the order type for a
purchase or sales is just a proxy for who the parties are - in other words,
is this order an input or an output for our organization?

In your case, you might infer that the order is a transfer if *both* parties
are internal organizations. You can determine if the order is a "sales" or a
"purchase" from the perspective of the current user by checking what
relationship that user has with one or the other of the parties.

I have written some code in a customised version of the calcTax service to
infer if an order is a purchase or sale based om which of the two parties is
an internal organisation. I don't have to worry about transfers, so I
haven't done anything about the "both internal" situation. I can send you my
code if that's of interest.

I suspect you will have to customise Ofbiz to make transfers work. If you
do, bear in mind that some organizations might use real money for transfers
between divisions, where if I understand you correctly your doesn't.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by sducas <sd...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

This is just to let you know that i give up the transfer order approach and
fullfilled my customer needs following BJ the advise:

The franchise create a new purchase order to the hub and the hub pick the PO
just like any SO..

A few customisation has been done but I'm not sure this can be used out of
my customer context..

THX!

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I think more in automation.
nor am I suggesting an new order type just useing purchase orders.
I have dealt with them enough to know what is attached.
the scenario is each store has it own facility and inventory with
reorder levels.
so each store sales will deal with there inventory in thier facility.
when the re-order levels are triggered the PO is generated. this is a
noral way ofbiz works.
the difference is  the PO is sent to the Hub company.
now this is where the customization is done.
the scheduled service looks for the PO to the Hub company and creates a
transfer for the items in the hub to the facility of the company in the PO.
the acconting requires sub accounts for each store (profit center)

the key to all this is roles and partyrelationships.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Paul Foxworthy sent the following on 2/1/2011 2:47 PM:

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
you have how the client terminology and how ofbiz accomplishes the
functions.
what you want to accomplish requires customization, so you can not
achieve it OOTB.
Assuming that the stores are part of the main companies then there would
not be two "Sales".
to discuss how to modify ofbiz to accomplish this is beyond the time I
have to commit to the mailing list.

#1 the normal business flow is a PO from a company creates a Sales order
at the company receiving it. However if you look at a PO as Inventory
Transfer then you doing what you want. This is a customization.

#2the way you client has it should be right. this is Solved by How you
do #1

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

sducas sent the following on 1/26/2011 2:48 AM:

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I guess i should have replied to yours to show I understood you position.
the specialpurpost componet is
as used in

however that does not directly address his problem now, so I just
outlined it.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 1/25/2011 10:18 AM:

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Re: Transfer Orders (TOs)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I'm not quite sure to get it, what a "transfer order" is? Could you elaborate a bit more? Is it an order internal to a company?

Thanks

Jacques