Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com> on 2013/01/16 23:26:58 UTC

[FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Hi,

Well I managed to move the compiler.jx and compiler.jx.tests project
into the trunk of falcon so we have a new javascript cross compiler
that is "as" functional as FalconJS is.

I still need to now look at Alex's MXML to port that into the compiler.

Erik, I just noticed there are 2 jars that got moved, the closure
compiler jar and another one from the lib directory. Did you
accidentally commit those? We have to delete those out of the repo
quick.

Consider this a new beginning for ActionScript in the browser, Erik
and I worked our butts off to get this thing working. We have over 500
unit tests for the compiler and Erik just got his tool chain for the
closure compiler and FalconJx working from the command line.

I consider this a large victory for Apache Flex, that proves it
doesn't take an enterprise to get things done, this was just 2
developers over the span of a month or so. I spent 3 months studying
the Falcon code though and have over 2 years with parsers and AST but
still...

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> Erik, I just noticed there are 2 jars that got moved, the closure compiler
> jar and another one from the lib directory. Did you accidentally commit
> those? We have to delete those out of the repo quick.

Don't see them, and I think I'm being careful enough after all my
mistakes with SVN lately...

> Consider this a new beginning for ActionScript in the browser, Erik and I
> worked our butts off to get this thing working. We have over 500 unit tests
> for the compiler and Erik just got his tool chain for the closure compiler
> and FalconJx working from the command line.

Well, nearly. I now have the 'mxmlc' script working, the publisher is next.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
On 16 January 2013 23:44, Michael A. Labriola
<la...@digitalprimates.net>wrote:

> >I consider this a large victory for Apache Flex, that proves it doesn't
> take an enterprise to get things done, this was just 2 developers over the
> span of a month or so. I spent 3 months >studying the Falcon code though
> and have over 2 years with parsers and AST but still...
>
> You two rock.
>
> 'nuff said.
>
> Sincerely,
> Mike

Hear, hear! This is absolutely amazing work! You guys deserve a beer or
two! :) (or perhaps several thousands...)

cheers,

Roland

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
You're a brave person ;-)

First, read (most of) this:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS+%28asjs%29

It will show you what we're up to.

Next, get the 'falcon/trunk' source from SVN and have a (cursory) look
around. Don't let it scare you!

If you're still up for it, ping back again, we can use all the help we can get!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Absolutely! :-)

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Gordon,

I didn't say I needed to understand the parser, I needed to understand
the whole framework. The reason the project is where it is, your
awesome documentation and not having to spend a half of a year
figuring out the tree.

My comment about AST was just that, I have had a lot of people tell me
they just don't understand AST, I guess its a conceptual thing I and
stated having written grammar for the AS3 language and dealing with
antlr for 2+ years helped out designing the way things are rendered.

Anyway, your framework rocks and is documented top notch. :)

When I said studying the falcon code for 3 months, I am talking about
the 100's of classes. I am not one to start something without knowing
exactly how all of it works. Besides to make a cross compiler, an
underlying understanding of how the parsed and Java future tasks work
are a must( that is what took me awhile).

Mike

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
No harm done, all is well and as midnight approaches, I'm signing off
for today ;-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Erik,

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Michael Schmalle
<ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
> Whatever need to be don to make things consistent, as I have said before,
> I'm more of a developer with the code and not to good with all these build
> details.

Just updated the .classpath file so they should work now all the same
or at least more similar then before :-).

Cyrill

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Mike
>
> Just updated the build.xml and download ant for compiler.jx and
> compiler.jx.tests. I had to add a @Ignore annotation on TestWalkerBase
> & TestBase so junit doesn't try to execute a test method. It's now
> also possible to run the unit tests with ant.

Ah, this sucks I usually never run tests from a build file, so I
forgot the naming conventions.

I think sooner than later I am going to rename those classes so they
don't have the @Ignore. tag on them.

Mike

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
That's no problem at all, I didn't know about the .classpath, I
actually was trying NOT to submit that as I figured it only contained
local project settings.

Thank you.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Cyrill,

Nice catch on the 'missing junit-4.10.jar in compiler.jx.tests' and
thanks for adding the build and download files.

On the 'missing commons-io.jar in compiler.jx': since the project is
dependent on the 'main' compiler, and the build for that downloads
that jar, I figured we'd use that instead of having our build download
it again. But you're right, this is not documented (yet?), so your way
might make it easier for future devs to get up and running.

I thought I fixed the output folder issue yesterday (choosing
'bin-debug' instead of 'classes', but what's in a name), that
apparently didn't work?

Thanks for helping out, we need 'all hands on deck'!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] New home for the new JavaScript cross-compiler

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Yeah, feel free.