Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/19 21:16:43 UTC

[m2] What happened to Spring - now it includes all its dependencies

I've been using Spring 1.2.5 in my project for the past couple of
weeks.  The transitive dependencies feature of M2 has seemed to work
great b/c there were no dependencies for Spring.

         <dependency>
            <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <version>1.2.5</version>
        </dependency>

However, as of today (possibly earlier, since I just deleted my local
repo this morning), I now have to exclude a whole bunch of
dependencies.  Below is a list of ones I had to exclude just for M2 to
download everything and run "mvn test". To really clean this up and
prevent a bunch of unused JARs in my project, it's likely I'd have to
greatly expand this list to include quartz, freemarker, velocity, etc.

(more comments after the xml below)

         <dependency>
            <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <version>1.2.5</version>
            <exclusions>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>activation</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.activation</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>mail</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.mail</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>toplink-api</artifactId>
                    <groupId>com.oracle</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>ejb</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.persistence</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>ejb</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.ejb</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>connector</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.resource</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>jaxrpc</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.xml</groupId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>jms</artifactId>
                    <groupId>javax.jms</groupId>
                </exclusion>
            </exclusions>
        </dependency>

Since spring.jar only depends on commons-logging, shouldn't the rest
of these be marked optional?  How did this change in the last couple
of days - did someone upload a new POM for Spring to ibiblio?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: [m2] What happened to Spring - now it includes all its dependencies

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/19/05, Srepfler Srgjan <sr...@lnksystem.com> wrote:
> Hello, Mr. Raible,
> I've tried to generate hbm files from your model (appfuse) in a mockup
> maven2 project, but I haven't been too successfull; Have you managed to
> make a working m2 pom file for you appfuse project?

No.

> Do you generate hbm files via the xdoclet plugin?

No, I still use Ant for AppFuse and plan to for the next release or
two.  I might integrate M2 someday, but it's probably going to take
quite a bit of work.  I have grandious plans of someday being able to
do "mvn appfuse", but that's probably quite a ways off. ;-)

Matt

Posted by Srepfler Srgjan <sr...@lnksystem.com>.
Hello, Mr. Raible,
I've tried to generate hbm files from your model (appfuse) in a mockup
maven2 project, but I haven't been too successfull; Have you managed to
make a working m2 pom file for you appfuse project? Do you generate hbm
files via the xdoclet plugin? Thanks and keep up the good work.

Srgjan Srepfler

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 11/21/05, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMO, there should be a POM for Spring - mainly because I believe that
> there's a lot of folks just using spring.jar rather than the
> individual JARs.

that happens mainly because there was no tool supporting transitive
dependencies, and you had to add several jars

> >  I believe that if you depend on
> >
> > spring-support
> > spring-orm
> > spring-hibernate
> > spring-remoting
> > spring-core
> >
> > you get the same things as in spring jar.
>
> So now I have to have 25 lines of XML in my pom.xml - instead of 5 for
> spring.jar?  Ugh.

I mean that those are the ones you need to get all classes but the
probabilities of using everything from spring are remote, give it a
try, I'm sure that you don't need more than one, unless you make a big
jar with things nobody will use at the same time, which is what
transitive deps try to avoid. (eg. spring hibernate depending on
hibernate2 and 3).

Re: [m2] What happened to Spring - now it includes all its dependencies

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
ok, I'll add the spring pom

Posted by Chad Brandon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

I'll try to put a bit of light at this.

- I've put the spring jars in the repo so you guys can use them in m1 and m2
- At first there were no poms because it takes me some time to have them ready
- I'm working on the poms, I've put the ones i was using first, but
there was no optional dependencies though, so now I'm pretty close to
have them ready with the optional stuff.

About spring full jar, I don't suggest you to use it depends in a lot
of stuff, in fact I don't know if I'll make a pom for it. To make
transitive dependencies work correctly you should add only what you
need. I believe that if you depend on

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
Stephen,

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

> [...]

>                 <exclusion>
>                     <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
>                     <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
>                 </exclusion>
>                 <exclusion>
>                     <artifactId>connector</artifactId>
>                     <groupId>javax.resource</groupId>
>                 </exclusion>
>                 <exclusion>
>                     <artifactId>jaxrpc</artifactId>
>                     <groupId>javax.xml</groupId>
>                 </exclusion>
>                 <exclusion>
>                     <artifactId>jms</artifactId>
>                     <groupId>javax.jms</groupId>
>                 </exclusion>
>             </exclusions>
>         </dependency>
>
> Since spring.jar only depends on commons-logging, shouldn't the rest
> of these be marked optional?  How did this change in the last couple
> of days - did someone upload a new POM for Spring to ibiblio?

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com