Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com> on 2013/05/28 21:32:35 UTC

Guidelines for attributed contributions

We have some code potentially being contributed to the Pivot project,
and they would like to (somehow) attribute the code to the original
author, something like having a "Developed by so-and-so of such-and-such
company" statement somewhere, I assume permanently   I'm not sure how to
handle this.  Can someone point me to guidelines?  Does legal need to be
involved at all?  The code consists of some patches to existing files
and a handful or so of brand new files with all original code.  Is there
an agreement they should fill out above and beyond the grant of ASF
rights if they post a patch to JIRA?  AFAIK none of the other code in
the Pivot project has any such attribution within the body of the code,
although the "NOTICE" file states that the code was originally developed
at VMWare and was donated to the ASF.

Thanks,

~Roger Whitcomb

Apache Pivot PMC Chair

RE: Guidelines for attributed contributions

Posted by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com>.
Thanks, Daniel.  I will let them know and will format the code
accordingly if/when we accept the contributions.

~Roger Whitcomb

Roger L. Whitcomb wrote on Tue, May 28, 2013 at 15:32:35 -0400:
> We have some code potentially being contributed to the Pivot project,
> and they would like to (somehow) attribute the code to the original
> author, something like having a "Developed by so-and-so of
such-and-such
> company" statement somewhere, I assume permanently   I'm not sure how
> handle this.  Can someone point me to guidelines?  Does legal need to
be

There should be something on the website about @author tags being
discouraged.  The point is to prevent the impression that a piece of
code is "owned" by a single author / maintainer, though, so "This module
was originally contributed by X to the Y project" should be fine?

(Sorry, no time to dig a link right now.)

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb
<Ro...@actian.com> wrote:
> We have some code potentially being contributed to the Pivot project, and
> they would like to (somehow) attribute the code to the original author,
> something like having a “Developed by so-and-so of such-and-such company”
> statement somewhere, I assume permanently...

I like https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/CREDITS.txt
for example, it's informal, quite visible and does avoids polluting
the code with statements that might become irrelevant as the code
evolves.

-Bertrand