Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ravi_eze <ra...@ivycomptech.com> on 2008/05/13 07:16:16 UTC

Setting HTML form parameters to Custom classes (not action support)

hi,

we have multiple classes (C1,C2,C3) each as java beans. now i have a form
as:
<s:form...>
<s:textfield name="a.field1" ../>
<s:textfield name="b.field1" ../>
<s:textfield name="c.field1" ../>

is it possible for me to populate the individual classes? The problem is
that we need to build a framework in struts2 and it requires the above to
happen.

After googling a lot... i found that that the current ActionSupport class is
kept in ognl value stack which is later filled. If this is true then can we
push the C1's object as a, C2's object as b etc into value stack???

Also, ModelInterceptor... would also push the object to the value stack. But
my problem is that i need all the 3 objects into the stack...

please correct me if i am wrong... any help would be great...

cheers,
ravi

Re: Setting HTML form parameters to Custom classes (not action support)

Posted by Jim Kiley <jh...@summa-tech.com>.
I would handle this by creating an ordinary Java class for the page, and
then having the following fields:

public class MyAction {
C1 a;
C2 b;
C3 c;

//...
}

...and make sure I had a public getA() and setA(), getB() and setB(), and so
on.

If you need to preset values for a, b, and c, one option is to have MyAction
implement Preparable, and put the pre-population in the prepare() method
that it requires.

jk

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:16 AM, ravi_eze <ra...@ivycomptech.com>
wrote:

> hi,
>
> we have multiple classes (C1,C2,C3) each as java beans. now i have a form
> as:
> <s:form...>
> <s:textfield name="a.field1" ../>
> <s:textfield name="b.field1" ../>
> <s:textfield name="c.field1" ../>
>
> is it possible for me to populate the individual classes? The problem is
> that we need to build a framework in struts2 and it requires the above to
> happen.
>
> After googling a lot... i found that that the current ActionSupport class
> is
> kept in ognl value stack which is later filled. If this is true then can
> we
> push the C1's object as a, C2's object as b etc into value stack???
>
> Also, ModelInterceptor... would also push the object to the value stack.
> But
> my problem is that i need all the 3 objects into the stack...
>
> please correct me if i am wrong... any help would be great...
>
> cheers,
> ravi

Jim Kiley
Technical Consultant | Summa