Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/21 11:50:34 UTC

Re: JMeter HTTP/2 support

Hello,
Hc5 is making progress but will rely on java 9 for Alpl for example.

Shouldn't we start some work in a new branch of JMeter (or create a branch
for 3.x and work on 4.x in master)

I see following pro/cons:
+ start some work asap
+ give feedback on hc5 and potentially orient some decisions on its design
+ oleg proposed his help
+ we need to rething recorder architecture as it's tightly linked to http1

- Hc5  is still alpha
- I feel Oleg is a bit alone on this piece of work ( http/2)
- It will only work with Java9 , when will java9 be released and what will
be its adoption rate particularly with module feature which will also
incurs work on our side

And another thing, shouldn't we consider other libraries like netty for
example ?

Http/2 is coming at a high pace and I feel we should not wait anymore.

Regards

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: JMeter HTTP/2 support

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 17:47 +0200, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
> HC5 is still young (alpha) to migrate no ?
> A first step for us would be to complete our migration from 4.2 to
> 4.5. Do
> you think it is useful or we should wait for HC5 to be GA and do the
> migration at that time ?

Not much younger than other implementations.

> Regarding HTTP 2, HC5 without Java 9 has still the  limitation with
> ALPN
> which means we need to move to Java 9 to have it.

*Sigh*. I already tried to explain the same thing more than once here
on this list.

HC does not have this limitation, JSSE does. All HTTP/2 running on pre
Java9 JREs have _exactly_ the same problem. Some projects chose to
employ various work-around for the issue involving various trade-offs
and downsides. If you are comfortable using those work-arounds there is
nothing stopping you from using them with HC.

Oleg

Re: JMeter HTTP/2 support

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: JMeter HTTP/2 support

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: JMeter HTTP/2 support

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Netty have release a new version with a new HTTP/2 API

More information in
https://netty.io/news/2017/08/25/4-0-51-Final-4-1-15-Final.html

I don't know if it's a good idea to wait for Hc5 and Java9. It could take
to much time before the 2 are released and more time will be needed to
implement it in JMeter

Antonio