Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "MCMURTRIE, Dion" <Di...@suncorpmetway.com.au> on 2001/11/22 07:19:28 UTC

SMTPAppender configuration

I was just wondering if it is possible to get the SMTPAppender to
essentially queue up log messages and then send them at regular predefined
intervals to avoid having it spam you with logging messages. For example can
the SMTPAppender send an email with all the messages for the last 12 hours
at 12 hour intervals?

My problem really is that if my application fails I want a notification. But
the places where it can fail, if/when it does fail, will generate message
after message as people keep hitting the application until the problem is
resolved. I really only need the first message to let me know that there is
something amiss. I don't want to get constantly spammed by the server
telling me it has a problem while I'm trying to fix the problem! More to the
point if the problem occurs after hours I could have a big inbox by the time
I'm notified about the problem. But having email notification of problems is
really handy and allows us to be a little more proactive about outages.

Anyone come across this/got any ideas about this?

Dion.

The contents of this message are the views of the Author and do not necessarily reflect the views of SUNCORP METWAY LTD  ABN 66 010 831 722.

The content of this e-mail, including attachments is a confidential communication between the Suncorp Metway Group and the intended addressee. Any unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and then delete the message and any attachment(s).

http://www.suncorpmetway.com.au