Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com> on 2013/11/08 20:20:04 UTC

HDFS-NFS Windows

Is it possible to export using HDFS-NFS on Windows 7?

Re: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Brandon Li <br...@hortonworks.com>.
A workaround has been committed to trunk/branch-2/branch2.2.1.

Now users can define any HDFS sub-directory to share. We can just add the
following property in hdfs-site.xml.
<property>
      <name>dfs.nfs3.export.point</name>
      <value>/somedirectory</value>
  </property>

Another thing with mounting NFS on Windows is the user mapping between
Windows accounts and Linux accounts.

Not that, if the users don't care about the files ownership,  they don't
even need to map Window user to Linux user. NFS gateway maps all unknown
user/group to "nobody"/"nobody", which have the Linux (UID, GID) as (-2,
-2).

In this case, to let Windows user access HDFS through NFS, all we need to
do is to create a directory with access mode 777 in HDFS. Then export that
directory or its parent directory(as long as it's not root "/").  After
mount it as a drive on Windows, any Windows user can access it.

Brandon

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Brandon Li <br...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Brandon Li <br...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Brandon Li <br...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com>.

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com>.

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com>.

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com>.

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

Posted by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com>.
Quite right. Three minor issues occurred. The Windows syntax for mounting the root directory is odd. You must use the exclamation point (!). For me if the server systems was Windows 7 the "use" command was required, for example "net use Z \\10.70.245.49\<file:///\\10.70.245.49\>!" where Z is the name of the  drive that is used for the mount point. The last problem required the old saying "Use the Source." Neither portmap nor nf3 were included in the hdfs.cmd file. So one either needs to use Cygwin or edit the hdfs.cmd to add the following lines before ":make_command_agrguments"

@REM ADDED portmap and nfs 3
:portmap
  set CLASS=org.apache.hadoop.portmap.Portmap
  goto :eof
:nfs3
  set CLASS=org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.nfs.nfs3.Nfs3
You can use the NFS gateway to present HDFS. From Windows, you can then mount the NFS share.

Olivier

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows

RE: HDFS-NFS Windows