Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Mike Haberman <mi...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> on 2001/06/21 17:36:24 UTC

PROPOSAL: change dtd for foreign keys + inline FOREIGN KEYS

I would like to add the onDelete and onUpdate attributes to
the foreign key in the dtd.

<!ELEMENT foreign-key (reference+)>
<!ATTLIST foreign-key
  foreignTable CDATA #REQUIRED
  onUpdate (cascade|set null|restrict|none) "none"
  onDelete (cascade|set null|restrict|none) "none"

Also, at least for postgres, I would like to generate the foreign key
stuff in line (instead of generating it after the table).  It's much
more elegant (and easier) to generate :

  colname type REFERENCES table(id) ON DELETE cascade,

  than

CREATE TRIGGER if_dist_exists
    BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON films FOR EACH ROW
    EXECUTE PROCEDURE check_primary_key ('col', 'table', 'col');

CREATE TRIGGER if_film_exists
    BEFORE DELETE OR UPDATE ON distributors FOR EACH ROW
    EXECUTE PROCEDURE check_foreign_key (1, 'CASCADE', 'col', 'table', 'col');

mike

Re: PROPOSAL: change dtd for foreign keys + inline FOREIGN KEYS

Posted by Leandro Saad <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.

> I would like to add the onDelete and onUpdate attributes to
> the foreign key in the dtd.
>
> <!ELEMENT foreign-key (reference+)>
> <!ATTLIST foreign-key
>   foreignTable CDATA #REQUIRED
>   onUpdate (cascade|set null|restrict|none) "none"
>   onDelete (cascade|set null|restrict|none) "none"

	I don't vote, but +1