Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Armstrong, Robert" <Ro...@Winwin.com> on 2000/10/25 18:24:40 UTC

limitation on number of files?

Is there any kind of limitation on the total number of files that can be
compiled together in either Ant or with Javac? I was using Ant with no
problems until I hit about 700 files being compiled in one run and suddenly
there are tons of problems where it can find some of my packages, in
particular ones that alphabetically come at the end of the list. Has anyone
else experienced this kind of problem?

robert

Re: limitation on number of files?

Posted by Nico Seessle <Ni...@epost.de>.
> Is there any kind of limitation on the total number of files that can be
> compiled together in either Ant or with Javac? I was using Ant with no
> problems until I hit about 700 files being compiled in one run and
suddenly
> there are tons of problems where it can find some of my packages, in
> particular ones that alphabetically come at the end of the list. Has
anyone
> else experienced this kind of problem?

Which compiler are you using? Which JDK Version? Which OS? Which version of
Ant?

There could be a problem if you use an "external compiler" such as jikes and
you are using Ant 1.1 (or have a very long classpath) which comes from
limitations in the command-line length. This problem should no longer exist
in Ant 1.2 iff it is an external compiler.

Nico