Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Ch...@itcqis.com> on 2002/12/15 00:02:02 UTC

Is there an Ant task to validate HTML (not XHTML)?

Hello dear Ant Users,

does someone know of an Ant task to validate HTML, e.g. HTML 4.01 Strict?
(not XHTML, I already validate XHTML using the xmlvalidate task)?
My google search for "Ant task to validate HTML" didn't seem to reveal
anything interesting.

Thanks and good bye
--
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer

Re: Is there an Ant task to validate HTML (not XHTML)?

Posted by Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Ch...@itcqis.com>.
Hi all,

Am Sonntag, 15. Dezember 2002 01:11 schrieb Christian Wolfgang Hujer:
> Hello Ken,
>
> thanks, I didn't think of tidy.
> tidy -e does a good job, I thought it's just for cleaning up HTML, but it
> also can check HTML. Thanks!
>
> I don't know wether I will write a HtmlTidy-Task, probably no because
> inserting tidy -e in a Makefile will do the job for me.
I just thought about creating a HtmlTidy-Task based on JTidy. I took a look at
JTidy's source. It looks extremely ugly. It looks like what it is: a
conversion from a tool written in a non-object oriented programming language.
The author has done a really great job at conversion to Java, but it's still
ugly.
Some files have several thousand lines of code.
That's too untypical for Java to me.
This project definitely needs some refactoring before someone writes an Ant
task for it.
And probably it's not up-to-date compared with the original tidy.

Bye

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:
> Hello Ken,
>
> thanks, I didn't think of tidy.
> tidy -e does a good job, I thought it's just for cleaning up HTML, but it also
> can check HTML. Thanks!
>
> I don't know wether I will write a HtmlTidy-Task, probably no because
> inserting tidy -e in a Makefile will do the job for me.

There is one already working here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-ant-tasks/src/java/org/krysalis/ant/taskdefs/

You can get a nightly from here:
http://gump.covalent.net/jars/2002-12-14/krysalis-ant-tasks/

This is the latest gump run:
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/krysalis-ant-tasks.html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Is there an Ant task to validate HTML (not XHTML)?

Posted by Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Ch...@itcqis.com>.
Hello Ken,

Am Sonntag, 15. Dezember 2002 00:32 schrieb Ken Gentle:
> Not an ant task, but HtmlTidy does a good job -- might not be too hard to
> wrap an ant task around it using the TidyLib -- see the sourceforge project
> for details.
>
> At 06:02 PM 12/14/2002, you wrote:
> >Hello dear Ant Users,
> >
> >does someone know of an Ant task to validate HTML, e.g. HTML 4.01 Strict?
> >(not XHTML, I already validate XHTML using the xmlvalidate task)?
> >My google search for "Ant task to validate HTML" didn't seem to reveal
> >anything interesting.

Thanks!

Posted by Ken Gentle <j....@acm.org>.