Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Jack Roberts <jr...@turing.ac.uk> on 2021/02/02 09:18:25 UTC

Metron's Future / Alternatives

Hi Metron community,

I recently started to explore Metron as part of a research project I’m involved in, but I’ve just seen the unfortunate news that the project is being “moved to the Attic”. I’d be very grateful if anyone could help to clarify the following:

  *   Is there likely to be any continued development of Metron outside of Apache?
  *   Are there any alternatives to Metron that people in this community would recommend? In particular, we’re looking for something open source that we can deploy ourselves, and with the functionality to straightforwardly integrate our own machine learning models for anomaly detection/similar.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Jack
The Alan Turing Institute is a limited liability company, registered in England with registered number 09512457 with registered offices at British Library, 96 Euston Road, London, England, NW1 2DB. We are also a charity registered in England with charity number 1162533. DISCLAIMER: Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the completeness and accuracy of this e-mail, transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or be incomplete. If you receive a suspicious or unexpected email from us, or purporting to have been sent on our behalf, particularly containing different bank details, please do not reply to the email, click on any links, open any attachments, or comply with any instructions contained within it. Our Transparency Notice found here - https://www.turing.ac.uk/transparency-notice sets out how and why we collect, store, use and share your personal data and it explains your rights and how to raise concerns with us.

Re: Metron's Future / Alternatives

Posted by Jack Roberts <jr...@turing.ac.uk>.
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply! We’re hoping to find and start using something on quite a short deadline so we’ll probably be looking for something that’s more established in the short-term, but I’d certainly be interested to check out what you’re working on when it’s public.

As for the models – the honest answer is I’m not sure yet, but it’s for research purposes so we want it to be as flexible as possible (i.e. we want to be able to plug in our own code and algorithms and not be tied to pre-existing templates).

Best wishes,
Jack

From: Alex Scammon <al...@alexscammon.com>
Date: Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 00:08
To: user@metron.apache.org <us...@metron.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Metron's Future / Alternatives
Hey there Jack,

We were also disappointed that Metron was shuttered.  But we've seen it as an opportunity to continue an internal project which builds on top of Metron.  Our goal is to make our project open source as a potential successor to Metron.

We're maybe a month or two away from making it public, but we'd love some eyes on it before we take that step if you're interested in taking a look.

Since it builds on Metron, a lot of the core architecture remains familiar.  Java, Kafka, Storm, etc....  Hopefully, that presents a familiar ecosystem for folks who are currently using Metron.  For improvements, we focused on:
·  Ensuring that simple configuration mistakes don't bring down the whole pipeline
·  A git-based approval workflow for rules updates (approvals and an audit trail are important for us)
·  An improved, modern-looking UI in Angular
·  Easier installation steps
Let me know if you're interested in discussing more -- I'd be interested to hear whether there are any particulars about the models you're running that we should take into consideration.

Cheers,

Alex Scammon
Head of Open Source Development
G-Research
gresearch.co.uk<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgresearch.co.uk%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cjroberts%40turing.ac.uk%7Cf4b382b60efa417500b708d8c7d7d0fa%7C4395f4a7e4554f958a9f1fbaef6384f9%7C0%7C0%7C637479077046081220%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=k%2FO3q4Tzankm95UvuclT8tAM0VB9v0aPUvBABsUqvmY%3D&reserved=0>

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 1:18 AM Jack Roberts <jr...@turing.ac.uk>> wrote:
Hi Metron community,

I recently started to explore Metron as part of a research project I’m involved in, but I’ve just seen the unfortunate news that the project is being “moved to the Attic”. I’d be very grateful if anyone could help to clarify the following:

  *   Is there likely to be any continued development of Metron outside of Apache?
  *   Are there any alternatives to Metron that people in this community would recommend? In particular, we’re looking for something open source that we can deploy ourselves, and with the functionality to straightforwardly integrate our own machine learning models for anomaly detection/similar.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Jack
The Alan Turing Institute is a limited liability company, registered in England with registered number 09512457 with registered offices at British Library, 96 Euston Road, London, England, NW1 2DB. We are also a charity registered in England with charity number 1162533. DISCLAIMER: Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the completeness and accuracy of this e-mail, transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or be incomplete. If you receive a suspicious or unexpected email from us, or purporting to have been sent on our behalf, particularly containing different bank details, please do not reply to the email, click on any links, open any attachments, or comply with any instructions contained within it. Our Transparency Notice found here - https://www.turing.ac.uk/transparency-notice<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turing.ac.uk%2Ftransparency-notice&data=04%7C01%7Cjroberts%40turing.ac.uk%7Cf4b382b60efa417500b708d8c7d7d0fa%7C4395f4a7e4554f958a9f1fbaef6384f9%7C0%7C0%7C637479077046081220%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=WjY03b5b6%2BUjnmYESbvfsDaFdAVtwU1Iuhsm66oOC9w%3D&reserved=0> sets out how and why we collect, store, use and share your personal data and it explains your rights and how to raise concerns with us.

Posted by updates on tube <ab...@gmail.com>.
Okay, so is it starting as a new architecture?

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.

Posted by Alex Scammon <al...@alexscammon.com>.
Hey there Jack,