Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Michael Wilken <wi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/22 19:22:57 UTC

Sharepoint connector - authentication failure

I'm running into authentication errors when trying to use ManifoldCF
trunk against a Sharepoint2010 site.

After creating a repository connection, I get the following message in
'Connection Status':
    Crawl user did not authenticate properly, or has insufficient
permissions to access http://tunedin.disney.com: (401)Unauthorized

The SP site is using NTLM for authentication.  I've verified that the
login info is correct: I can access the SP site via a web browser
using the credentials, and can make SOAP calls with the credentials
using soapUI.

I have not installed the MCPermission service, as we don't have to
worry about permissions at this time.  Looking at the code, I'd expect
to get a different error message if this was causing the problem.

Any suggestions for further debugging to see what's going wrong?

Thanks,
-mike

Re: Sharepoint connector - authentication failure

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
So, the message "Credentials provider not available" is a last-resort
bit of logic inside httpclient.  By that time there has already been
an NTLM back-and-forth that failed.  The reason for the failure is not
clear from the wire log; the NTLM exchange takes place as it is
supposed to, but IIS at the end decides it's invalid and resets the
sequence with a final 401.

You may want to consult the appropriate Windows event logs to see why
the logon failed.  It is possible that the host name you are crawling
from is not recognized by AD and is thus forbidden from communicating
with IIS.  Or, it could just be that your server and/or AD controller
is configured to need a fully-qualified domain name in order to
proceed.

If none of this helps, the next step is to try to get header dumps
from the browser that successfully can access the SharePoint web
service URLs.  Firefox can do this using a plugin called Live HTTP
Headers, but Firefox does not understand NTLM so that won't help.
Maybe though there is something similar available for Chrome.  Having
a successful login sequence alongside an unsuccessful one may help
identify the critical difference that is blocking the logon.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Michael Wilken <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Posted by Michael Wilken <wi...@gmail.com>.
I'm running trunk of ManifoldCF (r1376152, just updated and built this
morning), using java -jar start.jar in dist/example/.

I had been using "SharePoint 4.0 (2010)" in the drop down, I didn't
realize this required the SP plugin to be installed.  I added some
debugging statements to SPSProxyHelper.java, and it appears to be
failing before trying to access the MCPermissions service.  The
authentication exception gets thrown at line 1487, before anything
related to the plugin is called (if I'm understanding it correctly).

I just tried using SharePoint 2.0 from the drop down, and got the same
401 error.  I'll continue down the debugging paths you've suggested,

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,