Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adile Abbadi <ad...@minitdrugs.com> on 2005/07/22 01:34:40 UTC

Error 500 messages

Hi all,

I've got a very simple question to ask and I'm sure someone out there can
help me. Ok I just migrated from Tomcat 3 to Tomcat 4 and everything is
working great except one little thing. But a little background before I go
on.

Apache/Tomcat4 configuration - using libapache-mod_jk as the connector.
Running on Linux
JDK1.4

My app is built in JSP with JavaBeans in the background. Most of JSP's are
built as follows

Container JSP file
--jsp includes doing different thing like load session variables or nav
menus, etc.

Alright so here is the issue - in Tomcat 3 - whenever an error occurred such
as a null pointer, or other exception - the error would output right to the
JSP page itself and I could see it on the screen.

Now in Tomcat 4 it outputs the error to the log. This is all fine and dandy
but it makes it hell to try and fix issues having to sift through log files
to figure out what the problem is.

Now I have tried to build a simple test.jsp file and force it to through an
exception and that works fine (gives me the standard apache/tomcat error 500
screen) - but for some reason in the more complicated jsp pages - I can't
get the exception to come to the screen.

So any ideas??

Thanx

Adile

----
Mr. Adile Abbadi-MacIntosh - Chief Technical Officer

     A: Suite 500 - 400 Crowfoot Cres NW
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
      T3G 5H6 P: 403.693.2609
      F: 403.693.2604
      E: adile@minitdrugs.com C: 403.383.5285

Re: Error 500 messages

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Yes, for example: <%@ page buffer='128kb' %>

-Tim

RE: Error 500 messages

Re: Error 500 messages

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

RE: Error 500 messages

Re: Error 500 messages

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
flush="false"

-Tim

RE: Error 500 messages

Re: Error 500 messages

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

RE: Error 500 messages

Posted by Rob Hills <ro...@netpaver.com.au>.
Hi Adile,

I did say it was untested, and I've spotted a problem in my code already
(why are bugs so invisible BEFORE you press the send button??!!)

On 22 Jul 2005 at 9:41, Rob Hills wrote:

> Something like the following (untested) in your error.jsp should do the trick:
>
> <%
>   if (exception == null) {
> %>
>     <H1>A null exception was encountered</H1>
> <%
>   } else {
>     if (exception instanceof SQLException) {
>       Exception e = exception;  // WRONG

	the line above should read:
          SQLException e = (SQLException)exception;

>       while (e != null) {
> %>
>         <P>Error Code: <%=e.getErrorCode()%></P>
>         <P>Message: <%=e.getMessage()%></P>
> <%
>         e = e.getNextException();
>       }
>     } else {
>       // non-sql error handling here...
>     }
>   }
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob Hills
> www.netpaver.com.au
> Western Australia

Rob Hills
MBBS, Grad Dip Com Stud, MACS
Senior Consultant
Netpaver Web Solutions
Tel:	(08) 9485 2555
Mob:	(0412) 904 357
Fax:	(08) 9485 2555

RE: Error 500 messages

Posted by Rob Hills <ro...@netpaver.com.au>.
Hi Adile,

On 21 Jul 2005 at 19:09, Adile Abbadi wrote:

> Now I did a little more experimenting and discovered something interesting -
> as I said I can get an exception to be thrown to the page in a simple JSP
> file (I made it do a null pointer for example) and I can get it do pretty
> any other exception as well. Now what I did is I took one my more
> complicated JSP pages, made a copy and made a few changes to force some
> exceptions - now here is the weird thing - some exceptions are thrown to the
> screen and some are not.
>
> For example I had a ResultSet DB object and I made a syntax error and I got
> an Error 500 screen to come up as follows (note I took out the extra stuff
> to shorten the email)

Note, you will always get a stacktrace if Tomcat can't compile a JSP - I
believe this is appropriate as this is a "developer" error rather than a
"runtime" error.

> However I tried to get it to do a syntax error in the query - and I end up
> with a blank page. The catalina log shows nothing, but my context log shows
> the following (clown is the word I used to screw up the query)
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CLOWN" at
> character 260
>
> --Root Cause--
> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CLOWN" at character
> 260
>
> Its almost as it the page refuses to compile with this error.

No, it has compiled OK or else you'd get the same kind of message as you
did previously.

I suspect the reason you get a blank page is that for reason's I've never
been able to discover, SQL Exceptions are nested and the last error (the
one shown on your error page) is always empty :-(

to see the true error(s), you have to write some code that works its way
back through the nested SQL Exceptions, printing out the message for each
as you go.

RE: Error 500 messages

Posted by Adile Abbadi <ad...@minitdrugs.com>.
Hi Anoop thanx for your help - first in regards to the file that the log is
writing to I'm referring to a log file I created for my context in the XML
supporting that context using the FileLogger (similar to as you have below).

Now I did a little more experimenting and discovered something interesting -
as I said I can get an exception to be thrown to the page in a simple JSP
file (I made it do a null pointer for example) and I can get it do pretty
any other exception as well. Now what I did is I took one my more
complicated JSP pages, made a copy and made a few changes to force some
exceptions - now here is the weird thing - some exceptions are thrown to the
screen and some are not.

For example I had a ResultSet DB object and I made a syntax error and I got
an Error 500 screen to come up as follows (note I took out the extra stuff
to shorten the email)

/var/lib/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/podims/mod_pat_test_jsp.java:118:
')' expected
	while(SQLR.next() {

I also got it do a null pointer exception:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException

Root Cause
java.lang.NullPointerException

However I tried to get it to do a syntax error in the query - and I end up
with a blank page. The catalina log shows nothing, but my context log shows
the following (clown is the word I used to screw up the query)

javax.servlet.ServletException: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CLOWN" at
character 260

--Root Cause--
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CLOWN" at character
260

Its almost as it the page refuses to compile with this error.

Any ideas - is it a configuration thing?

Thanx

Adile

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

--