Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Henrik Ripa <he...@nordnav.com> on 2004/12/14 16:11:27 UTC

Symlinks from Linux making trouble in Windows

Hello Subversion users

I'm using Subversion (among other things) to manage some web pages under
Linux. One of these pages needs a directory that exists elsewhere in the
file system. So I thought I'll use a symbolic link to that directory and
put that into Subversion. This way I can move it around if I need to.

I mostly manage these web pages from Windows and herein lies the
problem. Svn under Windows freaks out when it sees that symlink. If I
try to commit a get an error saying "... has unexpectedly changed
special status". I have put in a transcript that shows the problem below.

I was under the impression (from reading the FAQ) that Windows would
just ignore the specialiness of the symlink and use it as an ordinary
file. So, am I doing anything wrong or just thinking wrong or...?

Here is a transcript that shows the problem:

First under Linux
-----------------

0:gieron@subnav~/repos/test: svn st
0:gieron@subnav~/repos/test: ln -s /public/samba/nightly/ data
0:gieron@subnav~/repos/test: svn add data
A         data
0:gieron@subnav~/repos/test: svn commit -m "Added a symlink."
Adding         data
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 118.
0:gieron@subnav~/repos/test: svn pl -v data
Properties on 'data':
   svn:special : *
0:gieron@subnav~/repos/test: svn --version
svn, version 1.1.0 (r11180)
    compiled Oct  1 2004, 10:24:30

Then under Windows
------------------

C:\Desk\Repos\test\henrik>svn up
A  data
Uppdaterade till revision 118.

C:\Desk\Repos\test\henrik>svn st
~      data

C:\Desk\Repos\test\henrik>svn commit -m "Trying to commit although I
didn't change anything."
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Entry 'C:/Desk/Repos/test/henrik/data' has unexpectedly changed
special status

C:\Desk\Repos\test\henrik>svn pl -v data
Properties on 'data':
   svn:special : *

C:\Desk\Repos\test\henrik>svn --version
svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
    compiled Oct 23 2004, 14:47:47

Henrik Ripa - NordNav Technologies AB - LuleƄ/Sweden

Re: Symlinks from Linux making trouble in Windows

Posted by Henrik Ripa <he...@nordnav.com>.
Josh Pieper wrote:
> Thanks for the excellent report.  Yes, this does appear to be a bug.
> Would you mind filing an issue with the transcript you posted here?

I have been away for a few days so this reply comes a little late. I
wouln't mind filing this issue in the issue tracker. But I guess that I
have register with tigris.org first so that I can log in. Unfortunately,
something went wrong when I tried to register so I don't have access to
anything. If anyone else would want to file that issue that would be
great. Otherwise I'm gonna try to fix this on monday.

Posted by Josh Pieper <jj...@pobox.com>.
Henrik Ripa wrote:
> Hello Subversion users
>
> I'm using Subversion (among other things) to manage some web pages under
> Linux. One of these pages needs a directory that exists elsewhere in the
> file system. So I thought I'll use a symbolic link to that directory and
> put that into Subversion. This way I can move it around if I need to.
>
> I mostly manage these web pages from Windows and herein lies the
> problem. Svn under Windows freaks out when it sees that symlink. If I
> try to commit a get an error saying "... has unexpectedly changed
> special status". I have put in a transcript that shows the problem below.
>
> I was under the impression (from reading the FAQ) that Windows would
> just ignore the specialiness of the symlink and use it as an ordinary
> file. So, am I doing anything wrong or just thinking wrong or...?

Thanks for the excellent report.  Yes, this does appear to be a bug.
Would you mind filing an issue with the transcript you posted here?

-Josh