Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/07/21 23:20:36 UTC

A few more IP issues and code preparation

Whilst we are waiting for the relevant legal documents to be filed
perhaps the Wookie team would like to prepare the code for import.

There are four incompatibly licensed dependencies (assuming the notice
file is up to date):

     c3p0
     Java Transactions API
     MySQL Connector
     Hibernate

These cannot be brought in to ASF infrastructure and thus must be
removed from the repository and build instructions updated
accordingly. We'll have to replace these dependencies during
incubation. I note that during the proposal stage Scott mentioned that
moving to CouchDB might make sense. we can explore this once the
initial code import is complete.

Since my initial evaluation of the code I have identified a few other
potential conflicts:

I am unsure of our ability to Apache License the Moodle, Elgg and
Wordpress plugins since each of these containers is GPL and I have no
idea if the viral nature of the GPL is invoked by these plugins. It is
a contentious issue. The FSF general claim that modules are "touched"
by the GPL whereas Linux says they are not (and I'd suggest that Linux
Kernel modules are closer to the GPL code than a typical Moodle plugin
for example).

I also note that there is some code from Apple which is not under a
licence I am familiar with. See
http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/shared/mac-resources/WidgetResources/AppleClasses/AppleAnimator.js?revision=1.1&view=markup

I'm also not sure about the widgets in
http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/widgets/
I'm pretty sure the code for (at least some of) these come from the
Google Wave project, what licence are they under and do they contain
any code from other third parties.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of the mentors on handling these issues.
I'd also appreciate it if mentors can look over the code to see if
there are any items I've missed (note the lib files are in an unusual
place: http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/
)

Finally, one for the committers may like to prepare the codebase for
importation into the repository. Other than the above IP issues the
packages will need to be renamed org.apache.wookie.*

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: Progress on IP issues and code preparation

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/7/26 Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>:
> Here's an update on progress on outstanding items:
>
> 1. Incompatibly-licensed dependencies
>
> These have been removed from the repository; I've added properties in
> build.xml that the developer will need to set to identify where these are
> located to build and deploy wookie. Also put a note in the README about
> these. Kris is putting a checking stage into the build.

Perfect

> 2.  Plugins
>
> We haven't touched these in the repo; I suggest we just don't move them into
> the incubator SVN but move them into "wookie extras" when we get that set
> up. The rails plugin is actually a bit out of date anyway, it would probably
> be easier to start again with current rails and current wookie.

Gavin, when we do the SVN import will we be able to exclude certain
directories or should we move these out of the existing SVN into a
branch of the existing repo for transition.

Scott, the reason for my question above is that we need to be able to
import the full history of the project which is our first port of call
if there is ever a challenge on the IP in the code base in the future.

> 3. Widgets
>
> Removed Apple JS libs from the repo;
> Added Creole.js to licenses/all_licenses.txt (and inside the config.xml
> "license" element for WookieWiki.wgt)
> Added JQuery to licenses/all_licenses.txt
> Replaced the Skype emoticons in Natter with some CC-BY licensed ones and
> added attribution & license in the config.xml "license" element

Cool.

> TODO: contact Wave team re sample code in Sudoku & Poetry gadgets
>
> I think we should go with Ross's suggestion and leave waveword out as it
> could have legal issues. However we can reuse the turn-based-wave-games JS
> lib I created for it for something less problematic in future. For now I've
> left it in repo, but we should make sure we don't copy it over into the
> incubator SVN.

Ditto my question above.

> 4. Packaging
>
> Moved all packages to org.apache.wookie

Great

> TODO change all the src headers to use apache 2.0 license

OK

> 5. CLAs
>
> I faxed mine in on Friday, I presume Paul and Kris are on the case with
> theirs. I'll chase the University of Bolton CCLA tomorrow.

Gavin and I will keep our eyes open for these being put into SVN, at
this point Gavin will be able to create your apache IDs. An give you
access to the SVN.

Whilst we wait for full clearance on the code we can start work on the
Wookie site. I'll post a different mail about that.

> TODO contact Stef and Phil

Yep.

Ross

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: A few more IP issues and code preparation

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> * YouDecide.wgt doesn't use any outside code.

Good.

> Inside the /WebContent/wservices folder are widgets included in a default
> build:
>
> * Natter uses some Apple code; this can be removed as its just chrome.
> JQuery again. And the smileys are actually Skype emoticons under the Skype
> Component license:
> https://developer.skype.com/Download/SkypeEmoticons however I think these
> actually aren't being used under the license appropriately and would need to
> be replaced with some genuinely open emoticon images. If anyone knows of any
> this would be very handy!

I often use http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/ for icons, I'm
pretty sure there are some emoticons in there to. CC-BY-SA licence

> None of the other widgets (weather, vote, chat, forum) use any external

Excellent.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

Looking at the Widgets in the /widgets folder:

* WookieWiki.wgt uses Creole.js, which uses an MIT-style license.

* Sudoku.wgt uses some Google JS code which has no identifiable license.

* WaveWord.wgt uses some code from http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/SSCrabble/
  of indeterminate license, and JQuery which is dual MIT and GPL.

* Test.wgt doesn't use any outside code (its for testing API
compliance with specs).

* YouDecide.wgt doesn't use any outside code.

Inside the /WebContent/wservices folder are widgets included in a
default build:

* Natter uses some Apple code; this can be removed as its just chrome.
JQuery again. And the smileys are actually Skype emoticons under the
Skype Component license: https://developer.skype.com/Download/SkypeEmoticons
  however I think these actually aren't being used under the license
appropriately and would need to be replaced with some genuinely open
emoticon images. If anyone knows of any this would be very handy!

None of the other widgets (weather, vote, chat, forum) use any
external code.

> I'd like to hear the thoughts of the mentors on handling these issues.
> I'd also appreciate it if mentors can look over the code to see if
> there are any items I've missed (note the lib files are in an unusual
> place: http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/
> )
>
> Finally, one for the committers may like to prepare the codebase for
> importation into the repository. Other than the above IP issues the
> packages will need to be renamed org.apache.wookie.*

OK, we'll get on it