Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/12/16 15:03:40 UTC

Proposed plan for Tomcat 10

Hi,

First of all an update.

I have a first pass of the javax.* -> jakarta.* migration tool
implemented. I have used it to convert the JSTL JARs used by Tomcat's
example web application and by the unit tests. The unit tests now all
pass. I have updated my "jakarta" branch [1] to include these changes. I
think it is time to start work on Tomcat 10.

This proposed plan should be read with the Jakarta EE Release Numbering
plan [2].

1. Create a 9.0.x branch from master.

2. Apply the commits in my "jakarta" branch to master.

3. Proceed with the various API changes, clean-ups, etc. listed in
TOMCAT-NEXT.txt in the root of the repository

4. Remove all the deprecated code planned for removal in Tomcat 10.

5. Version numbering updates.

5. Produce a Tomcat 10.0.0.M1 release ASAP (best guess is mid-Jan to
mid-Feb for this)

6. Announce EOL for Tomcat 7.0.x as 31 March 2021 (too soon?)

The continue with monthly 10.0.0.Mx, 9.0.x and 8.5.x releases until
Jakarta EE 9 is released and 10.0.0.Mx passes the TCKs.

My current thinking is to start on this in January.

On a related point, where so we think the javax -> jakarta migration
tool should live in source control? My current thinking is that, since
this is a stand-along tool it should live in a separate Git repo and
have a separate release cycle (it is fairly small). If we wanted to
integrate this into Tomcat's deployment process, I imagine we'd add the
JAR file to the build process as a dependency like any other.

Thoughts?

Mark

[1] https://github.com/markt-asf/tomcat/tree/jakarta

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+Release+Numbering

Re: Proposed plan for Tomcat 10

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 4:03 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all an update.
>
> I have a first pass of the javax.* -> jakarta.* migration tool
> implemented. I have used it to convert the JSTL JARs used by Tomcat's
> example web application and by the unit tests. The unit tests now all
> pass. I have updated my "jakarta" branch [1] to include these changes. I
> think it is time to start work on Tomcat 10.
>
> This proposed plan should be read with the Jakarta EE Release Numbering
> plan [2].
>
> 1. Create a 9.0.x branch from master.
>
> 2. Apply the commits in my "jakarta" branch to master.
>
> 3. Proceed with the various API changes, clean-ups, etc. listed in
> TOMCAT-NEXT.txt in the root of the repository
>
> 4. Remove all the deprecated code planned for removal in Tomcat 10.
>
> 5. Version numbering updates.
>
> 5. Produce a Tomcat 10.0.0.M1 release ASAP (best guess is mid-Jan to
> mid-Feb for this)
>
> 6. Announce EOL for Tomcat 7.0.x as 31 March 2021 (too soon?)
>
> The continue with monthly 10.0.0.Mx, 9.0.x and 8.5.x releases until
> Jakarta EE 9 is released and 10.0.0.Mx passes the TCKs.
>
> My current thinking is to start on this in January.

+1 for this plan.

Rémy

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

<snip/>

> How about end-users? I could imagine this tool being useful to migrate
> an *application* from Tomcat [789].x to Tomcat 10 (or 9.10).

I'm expecting end-users to be the primary users of this tool. A little
further down the road I can see us asking users to test it out and
report failures they discover so we can refine it.

Mark

Re: Proposed plan for Tomcat 10

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 7:12 PM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> On 12/16/19 11:45, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 5:38 PM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> > <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >
> > On 16/12/2019 15:37, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> >> Do you plan to create the 9.10 branch at the same time ? If you
> >> don't create it immediately to keep it in sync with 10, it would
> >> need to be recreated later using a jakarta->javax rename.
> >
> > I was planning on creating it later and using Git to revert the
> > javax -> jakarta commits as I thought that would be less work.
> >

> > Works for me.
> >

> >> I was thinking about that tool and the possibilities, but not
> >> sure
> > about
> >> the location. There's always the "modules" ...
> >
> > I thought about that. It just seems a bit more stand-alone that a
> > module. There is also the possibility that it could expand to cover
> > the full range of javax -> jakarta conversions rather than
> > (currently) just the specs Tomcat implements.
> >

> > Ok, other projects could need the tool, such as TomEE and
> > Meecrowave (with more specs needed) but I have no idea what their
> > plan is. I did a sweep to find any discussions here and elsewhere
> > but there's almost nothing right now.
>
> How about end-users? I could imagine this tool being useful to migrate
> an *application* from Tomcat [789].x to Tomcat 10 (or 9.10).

To add to Mark's post, for example, TomEE users have EE apps that use javax
APIs, same problem as for a Tomcat user but they're using a lot more APIs.
At the moment we don't know what solution they plan to provide, I guess
they're not in a hurry to migrate to EE 9 ;)

Rémy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/12/2019 16:45, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 5:38 PM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org

<snip/>

>     > I was thinking about that tool and the possibilities, but not sure
>     about
>     > the location. There's always the "modules" ...
>
>     I thought about that. It just seems a bit more stand-alone that a
>     module. There is also the possibility that it could expand to cover the
>     full range of javax -> jakarta conversions rather than (currently) just
>     the specs Tomcat implements.
>

> Ok, other projects could need the tool, such as TomEE and Meecrowave
> (with more specs needed) but I have no idea what their plan is. I did a
> sweep to find any discussions here and elsewhere but there's almost
> nothing right now.

Something that occurred to me earlier today:

This probably isn't a million miles away from what the Maven shade
plug-in does.

I haven't looked at possible re-use of that code but I wanted to get the
idea out there in case someone else wanted to take a look.

Mark

Re: Proposed plan for Tomcat 10

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.