Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerald Powel <ge...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2003/09/18 09:11:10 UTC

WAR

Hello,

    Can anyone tell me, what is the purpose of the WAR file, how does one create / implement it? Where may I find doco about WAR please?

thanks

J.

P.S Why WAR? What does it stand for?

---------------------------------

Re: WAR

Posted by Peter Harrison <pe...@nothingbutnet.co.nz>.
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:11, Jerald Powel wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     Can anyone tell me, what is the purpose of the WAR file, how does one
> create / implement it? Where may I find doco about WAR please?

A WAR file is a web application archive. Essentially its a compressed file
with all the files you need for your web application in the appropriate
directory structure. When you put a WAR file into the webapps directory of
tomcat it automatically uncompresses the file and creates a new context
without having to explicitly write the context yourself.

The following article on OnJava.com should provide you will a good start:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/04/19/tomcat.html

You might also consider purchasing a good book. For example, in "Mastering
Tomcat Development" on page 381 there is a description of how to set up Ant
to build and deploy web applications.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471446629.html

Re: WAR

Posted by Peter Harrison <pe...@nothingbutnet.co.nz>.

Re: generate WAR

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
I'm using Eclipse 2.1.1 on Windows XP Pro and have used it to generate WARs
many times. The catch is that you need to install the Sysdeo plug-in. If you
do that and configure it correctly, you will get a new context menu option
in the Package Explorer when you select your project and right-click: it
will say Tomcat Project and one of its suboptions is "Export to the WAR file
sets in project properties".

The Sysdeo plug-in is available at:
http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/tomcatPlugin.html. I found the instructions a
bit weak when I installed V2.1 and sent some suggestions for improvements to
the Sysdeo site but I'm not sure my suggestions were incorporated. If you
have any trouble with installing/configuring Sysdeo, let me know and I'll
send you the instructions I wrote, which are a bit more detailed.

Rhino

generate WAR

RE: WAR

Posted by Schalk <sc...@volume4.co.za>.
WAR stands for Web Archive Resource, it is basically a .jar file containing
all the files of your web-app. If you use an IDE such as NetBeans it is very
easy to create, simple right click the root folder and select Generate WAR,
choose your target location to save the war file to and that is it.

You can then place this .war in your tomcat/webapps folder and the next time
you restart Tomcat it will unpack the .war and create a default context for
your web-app as well as do any initialization you may have specified in your
web.xml

HTH

Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling
Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding
Tel: +27125468436
Fax: +27125468436
email:schalk@volume4.co.za
:: At 08:11 AM 9/18/2003 +0100, Jerald Powel wrote:
::
:: >Hello,
:: >
:: >---------------------------------
:: >Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE
Yahoo!Messenger
::
::
::
:: LEGAL NOTICE
::
:: This electronic mail  transmission and any accompanying documents contain
:: information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally
:: privileged.  This information is intended only for the use of the
:: individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent
as
:: indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
:: copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the
:: information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If
you
:: have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.
Thank
:: you
::
::
::
:: For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

RE: WAR

Re: WAR

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Try "Java in a Nutshell".

At 08:11 AM 9/18/2003 +0100, Jerald Powel wrote:

>Hello,
>
>     Can anyone tell me, what is the purpose of the WAR file, how does one
> create / implement it? Where may I find doco about WAR please?
>

>thanks
>
>J.
>
>P.S Why WAR? What does it stand for?

>Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: WAR

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.