Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2001/04/29 07:53:16 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 INSTALL

On 29 Apr 2001 fielding@apache.org wrote:

> fielding    01/04/28 22:30:21
>
>   Modified:    .        INSTALL
>   Log:
>   All of this stuff about apxs is bogus right now -- does anyone feel
>   inclined to update apxs?

Why is it all bogus?  The last time I checked, apxs worked just fine with
2.0.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 INSTALL

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.
> >   All of this stuff about apxs is bogus right now -- does anyone feel
> >   inclined to update apxs?
>
> Why is it all bogus?  The last time I checked, apxs worked just fine with
> 2.0.

It doesn't include half the symbols that have been added since 1.3 and
still thinks it is building shared libraries according to APACI rules
instead of autoconf.  It may have run without bombing, but it certainly
wasn't replicating the build conditions of httpd-2.0.  I think that
task has been replaced by config_vars.mk and rules.mk.

There is still a lot of cleaning left to do on the build system.
Like, why are there so many different places where flags are being
set based on the OS or config.guess information?

httpd has its home-grown fast substitution, whereas the others just
use AC_OUTPUT.  It would be nice to make it more consistent.
apr-util has diverged in odd ways, but it still builds fine.
The whole process can be sped up considerably by having APR export
more of its results and by removing some needless tests.

I am about to clean up some of the unused/misnamed m4 macros.

A lot of the build files are simply in the wrong directories or
have weird names, but I've been trying to avoid file moves until
they can be done without changing much.

And then there are dozens of config.m4 files that merely repeat what
has already been done by configure.

....Roy