Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net> on 2002/12/22 21:22:14 UTC

Space in filename looks like Switched ?

Hello

I've just noticed that my working copy suddently shows a lot of
Switched files. I obviously hadn't switched anything, and there was no
switched files a few days ago.

[seb@sirius seb]$ svn co http://.../svn/milcis/docs
A  docs/technique
A  docs/technique/SchemaLogique-SI.png
[...]
[seb@sirius seb]$ cd docs/
[seb@sirius docs]$ svn st
    S  technique/Couches de hierarchie de CMonde.mdl
    S  technique/Milcis - Document technique interne.htm
    S  technique/Milcis - Document technique publique.htm
    S  technique/Milcis - Planning de programmation.htm
    S  technique/Moteur3D/Aide Collisions.txt
    S  technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map.html
    S  technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map_fichiers
[seb@sirius docs]$
[seb@sirius docs]$ find . | grep -v svn | grep " "
./technique/Couches de hierarchie de CMonde.mdl
./technique/Moteur3D/Aide Collisions.txt
./technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map.html
./technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map_fichiers
./technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map_fichiers/image001.gif
./technique/Milcis - Planning de programmation.htm
./technique/Milcis - Document technique publique.htm
./technique/Milcis - Document technique interne.htm
[seb@sirius docs]$

I just haven't done anything else, and it appears switched just after
the checkout. It looks like it has something to do with the spaces ...

I don't really understand what happens, does anybody have a clue or
has experienced the same thing ?

I haven't found anything in the issue tracker ...

Thanks

--
Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net>
Cine7.Net  -  Milcis.Net

" I think it would be fun to run a newspaper. "
Orson Welles (Charles F. Kane) [ Citizen Kane ]

Re: Space in filename looks like Switched ?

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net> writes:

> Hello
>
> I've just noticed that my working copy suddently shows a lot of
> Switched files. I obviously hadn't switched anything, and there was no
> switched files a few days ago.
>

> [seb@sirius seb]$ svn co http://.../svn/milcis/docs
> A  docs/technique
> A  docs/technique/SchemaLogique-SI.png
> [...]
> [seb@sirius seb]$ cd docs/
> [seb@sirius docs]$ svn st
>     S  technique/Couches de hierarchie de CMonde.mdl
>     S  technique/Milcis - Document technique interne.htm
>     S  technique/Milcis - Document technique publique.htm
>     S  technique/Milcis - Planning de programmation.htm
>     S  technique/Moteur3D/Aide Collisions.txt
>     S  technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map.html
>     S  technique/Moteur3D/Gestion des map_fichiers
> [seb@sirius docs]$
>
> I just haven't done anything else, and it appears switched just after
> the checkout. It looks like it has something to do with the spaces ...

What do these commands show

$ svn info technique
$ svn info technique/Couches de hierarchie de CMonde.mdl

Possibly it's something to do with the uri encoding of spaces not
being done correctly.  However I cannot reproduce it:

$ svn mkdir wc/xx\ yy
A         wc/xx yy
$ svn ci wc
Adding         wc/xx yy

Committed revision 2.
$ rm -rf wc ; svn co file://`pwd`/repo wc
A  wc/xx yy
A  wc/foo
Checked out revision 2.
$ svn st wc
$

--
Philip Martin

--
Philip Martin

Re: Space in filename looks like Switched ?

Posted by Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net>.
On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 02:57:49PM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Instead of

Oh, yeah, I suspected something like this but I didn't know spaces
where supposed to be escaped in '%20' in svn info so I didn't noticed
the change.

> My recollection is that Sander and Mike Pilato fixed this bug
> recently, no?

The bug seems to be fixed in HEAD, but not in 0.16.0. We weren't sure
about whether it had been fixed or not, but if you confirm that,
everything is fine, and it'll work fine in 0.17.0 :-)

Thanks for the precision !

--
Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net>
Cine7.Net  -  Milcis.Net
Jabber: theefer@charente.de  -  ICQ: 48895760

" Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat. "
Milla Jovovich (Leeloo) [ The Fifth Element ]

Re: Space in filename looks like Switched ?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net> writes:

> Hello
>
> I've just noticed that my working copy suddently shows a lot of
> Switched files. I obviously hadn't switched anything, and there was no
> switched files a few days ago.

I've seen this bug before.  Sander discovered it.  Somehow the space
in the filename dosen't get url-escaped when the url is stored in the
entry.  In other words, if you run 'svn info' on the file, you'll see
something like

Instead of

And then libsvn_wc notices that

 (parent_url + / + filename) != child_url

And thus assumes it's switched!

Posted by Jeffrey Melloy <jm...@visualdistortion.org>.
I had the same problem.  My solution was just to rename everything with
spaces in it, but that doesn't mean it was a good one.