Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com> on 2006/06/14 19:23:33 UTC

custom namespace

Hi,

By default there are 2 namespaces: framework and application.
How can I define my own, custom namespace?

Regards,
Norbi

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
I'm not putting down HM in any way. It is the *enabler* and the *glue*
in T4 today. I see resistance here at work to Tapestry 4 and a lot of
it has to do with being forced to learn HM to do what appear to be
mundane tasks.

One example is Services. They were very simple to create and add to an
app pre T4. No so easy now. Are they more powerful now? Absolutely.
Could a convention and a little more (ok maybe a lot more) work behind
the scenes let us bring back the <service> tag and cover a large
percentage of user's needs? I think so. HM operates behind the scenes
always as the enabler of the convention and the full power of HM is
always available for those crazy corner cases.

Our app is currently built around Spring. I know we can reuse that
stuff in T4 which is excellent. If we have a working app in T3 that
has over 100 Spring managed beans and services so we are not going to
change any that stuff over to HM managed entities. So, the less we
need to care about HM the better for us. We add a new developer about
every month and the learning curve is steep already. Ideally, we would
rather not have to pile on HM up front, HM use should be needed in
only the exceptional cases where a few incumbents can handle it and
the new guy can pick it up later as needed.

To me it's like having Excel mandate that the sorting of data be done
using a VB script authored by the user. In Excel they have a menu item
to sort and can use VB for the exceptional cases. In Tapestry
conventions are the menu item and HM is the super powerful tool you
look to solve that really complex problem. 90% of Excel uses never
write a script. If even 80-90% of the time users could rely on a
convention over a HM contribution I think that would be a big plus for
adoption.

Not a rant this time. just my opinion.

Geoff

RE: custom namespace

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
I don't think it's a matter of enforcement per se. If the right
choices are made in development no enforcement is needed to adhere to
a convention as it's just the way you do it. Not much enforcement is
needed in the custom HM case - it's custom! The developer is stepping
out from under the umbrella so to speak and should police themselves.

Some things I'd like to see:

Auto discovery of libraries
One, or maybe two but no more,ways to locate pages and components
The page is the class, the class is the page (there is a common
exception to this)
The component is the class, the class is the component (see above)
Services without HM configuration xml (bring back the <service> tag!)*
ASOs without HM configuration xml    (introduce an <aso> tag!)*

these and perhaps more are already in the dev list in threads with
subjects prepended with [T5]

I don't claim to know at this time how these would be implemented.

Anybody want to add to the list above?

Geoff

*while xml is going away (i think) for pages and components in T5 -
I'm assuming that it will stay for applications and libraries

RE: custom namespace

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

RE: custom namespace

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

RE: custom namespace

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
There's a new enhancement that allows you to create a base class and have
your HM services auto-wired in.  It's available in 4.1.

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.

RE: custom namespace

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.
+1 for that rant.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.
I would love such an extension.
It would be great if the user would not "know" about internal components
and pages.

Regards,
Norbi

RE: custom namespace

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Good God No!

RE: custom namespace

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.
Thanks!

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Short answer is you can't. The namespaces are created by parsing
.application or .library files. Except for Framework.library - which
is a special case, every library must be declared in a "parent"
namespace specification file as that's the mechanism Tapestry has to
"discover" nested namespaces.

Geoff

Re: custom namespace

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.