Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> on 2017/07/22 21:30:00 UTC

[Website] Format of links

Hello all,

I am completing the translation of the Korean download page:
https://www.openoffice.org/ko/download/index.html

Some of the links are underlined. This totally breaks the readability
especially for Asian languages.

My idea would be:
Underlines should only be visible if the mouse is hovering over the link.

What's your opinion?

Regards, Matthias

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 23.07.2017 um 11:31 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> From: Matthias Seidel [mailto:matthias.seidel@hamburg.de]
>
>> For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)
>> In general, all languages with characters that have
>> descenders are barely readable:
>> g j ç ą ę ļ -> g j ç ą ę ļ
> OK, now I understand that the question specifically related to the Korean website. I had previously believed them to be generally meant.

As I wrote above it is meant generally: Polish, Lithuanian, Korean,
Chinese and even German... All languages with lower descender.
(It was formatted in HTML, maybe you couldn't see the difference)

> But a general word:
> I believe that every one of us, who works on the website, can decide such details himself - without which he later gets criticism.
>
> formally:
> please use "Lazy Consensus":
> https://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/lazyConsensus.html
>
> imho: In cases like this, Lazy Consensus is more efficient than a discussion.

Normally I wouldn't discuss it, since I am (almost) the only one working
on the website... ;-)
But in this case the change would be for the whole site (and for
openoffice.apache.org) to maintain a unique "look & feel".

Matthias

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
From: Matthias Seidel [mailto:matthias.seidel@hamburg.de]

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
I am sorry my phone keeps correcting... she into he...
Grrr

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Peter kovacs [mailto:petko@apache.org]

> Maybe we should in general replace underlying with
> abuttonlike approach?
> Like a slight different colour from the rest of the box where
> the link is placed.

This proposal concerns 'a detail of a detail'. There is nothing specifically against it, but this kind of marking is not possible for all links, but only for links which are in a box.

Only if a link is in a box, it can be solved. The person who edited the website should decide in the individual case.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [Website] Format of links

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Maybe we should in general replace underlying with abuttonlike approach?
Like a slight different colour from the rest of the box where the link is placed.

But I am no got at UI design.

The Korean government side does not have any link underlining. So that looks like it it not needed if the context assumed I can click this.