Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/04 06:07:20 UTC

Metron Version

Hi All,

I have deployed Metron 0.4.2 on single node, I have my logs coming into
NiFi & Kafka but I cant see them in Kibana, I was told that I would have to
configure Indexing & Parsing topology since this is a newer version of
Metron.

Does anyone have any tutorial on how do I configure Indexing and Parsing
topology or do I change the version?

Re: Metron Version

Posted by Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

The syslogs which I am sending are in CEF format and are coming from HP's
ArcSight Logger, the logs are purely in CEF format and I have selected the
Metron's CEF Parser but they are not coming into Elastic Search and Kibana.
The logs have 100+ columns and are coming in real time through NiFi

Do I need to parse it or will Metron's CEF Parser do the job?

I have attached a sample screenshot

On 5 January 2018 at 00:23, Simon Elliston Ball <simon@simonellistonball.com

Re: Metron Version

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
There are multiple topologies at work to get the data into elasticsearch.
The flow is basically:

Kafka ( sensor name ) -> parser topology ( sensor name ) -> Kafka
(enrichment) -> enrichment topology -> Kafka (indexing) -> indexing
topology -> ES + HDFS

Each of these topologies are listed in the StormUI, and each needs to be
checked for errors.

On January 5, 2018 at 11:10:26, Gaurav Bapat (gauravb3007@gmail.com) wrote:

There are no errors in Storm, the topic is emitting just like Snort & Bro
but I still cant understand the problem

Re: Metron Version

Posted by Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Metron Version

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
Are you able to look through the storm UI and identify any errors?  Also,
did you look at the Metron error dashboard?  Thanks,

Jon

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018, 22:47 Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also when I enter indices in Kibana, it fails to search for my Kafka topic
> and I dont know why the cef logs are not coming into Kibana
>

> On 5 January 2018 at 00:23, Simon Elliston Ball <
> simon@simonellistonball.com> wrote:
>
>> Are the logs you’re sending with syslog in CEF format? You will note that
>> the CEF sensor uses the CEF parser, which means unless your logs are in CEF
>> format, they will fail to parse and be dropped into the error index (worth
>> checking the error index in kibana via the Metron Error Dashboard. That
>> will likely tell you why things aren’t parsing.
>>
>> The most likely scenario is that you are sending something non-CEF on the
>> syslog feed, in which case you will need something like a Grok parser. I
>> suggest reading through the Squid example in the documentation on how to do
>> this.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> > On 4 Jan 2018, at 18:49, Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > They are syslogs and my topic name is cef, I get one parsed logs out of
>> 1000+ and I want to do analytics using Spark but I cant find a way out.
>>
>> --

Jon

Re: Metron Version

Posted by Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Metron Version

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.

Re: Metron Version

Posted by Gaurav Bapat <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Metron Version

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
What are the logs (are they system logs, bro, snort, Cisco, etc.) and where
are you sending them (what is the Kafka topic name)?

Jon