Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> on 2004/04/02 03:08:04 UTC

Re: I'm working in the I18n thing

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:14:09PM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Localization of text messages is actually important to the Chicago
> developers too;  we'd like to work with you on this if possible.  I'd
> just like to see some more discussion about on the list about this,
> rather than a humongous patch.
>
> For example:
>
> * is it definitely safe to use gettext?  it looks like that is what your
> patch is doing.  My impression from the other thread is that libintl
> (the runtime library) is LGPL, which is fine, while the compile-time
> tools are GPL, which is also fine.  Does everyone agree about this?  Is
> there no controversy?  Is the research "closed" on this?

I think it's safe to use gettext from the licensing perspective based on
the text in the other thread.  The compile-time tools being GPL isn't a
problem.  This is really no different than gcc (tools are GPL, libs are
LGPL).

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken