Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> on 2013/04/15 11:53:46 UTC

%PRODUCTNAME

Hi at all

I'm a bit comfused. What I get for %PRODUCTNAME? It is "OpenOffice" or
"Apache OpenOffice"? Thanks for your Feedback.

Greetings Raphael

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 15.04.2013 13:09, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> Am 15.04.13 12:22, schrieb janI:
>> On 15 April 2013 11:53, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi at all
>>>
>>> I'm a bit comfused. What I get for %PRODUCTNAME? It is "OpenOffice" or
>>> "Apache OpenOffice"? Thanks for your Feedback.
>>>
>>> On my system I get "Apache OpenOffice", but I am not sure that it is
>>> like
>> in every part of the system (but it should be)
> Yes, it sould be... The reason why I ask: In Help is still the emtry
> "About OpenOffice.org" instead of "About Apache OpenOffice" Whoever, i
> found the points in the code (or better, I beleve I found it) and
> changed it.
>
> http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/scripting/workben/bindings/writermenubar.xml#297
>

> I replaced the "OpenOffice.org" with "%PRODUCTNAME", but my local build
> shows now "About OpenOffice". But the About Dialog is now called "About
> Apache OpenOffice".

"About OpenOffice" in the Help menu is correct from my point of view.
Have a look at the Help menus of our applications Writer, Calc, Impress, ...

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi

On 15.04.2013 13:09, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> Am 15.04.13 12:22, schrieb janI:
>> On 15 April 2013 11:53, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi at all
>>>
>>> I'm a bit comfused. What I get for %PRODUCTNAME? It is "OpenOffice" or
>>> "Apache OpenOffice"? Thanks for your Feedback.
>>>
>>> On my system I get "Apache OpenOffice", but I am not sure that it is
>>> like
>> in every part of the system (but it should be)
> Yes, it sould be... The reason why I ask: In Help is still the emtry
> "About OpenOffice.org" instead of "About Apache OpenOffice" Whoever, i
> found the points in the code (or better, I beleve I found it) and
> changed it.
>
> http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/scripting/workben/bindings/writermenubar.xml#297

This seems to be a menu definition file, but not a help content file.

Where in the Help did you find "OpenOffice.org"?
There are some "OpenOffice.org" in the Help when former OpenOffice
versions are referenced.
Anything else?

> I replaced the "OpenOffice.org" with "%PRODUCTNAME", but my local build
> shows now "About OpenOffice". But the About Dialog is now called "About
> Apache OpenOffice".

Look at the general menu bar definition files in the applications - e.g.
main/sc/uiconfig/scalc/menubar/menubar.xml. Here you do not find
hard-coded string, but UNO commands.
I am not sure, if this is also possible for module scripting.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 15.04.13 13:15, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> On 4/15/13 1:09 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
>> Hi Jan

>>> in every part of the system (but it should be)
>> Yes, it sould be... The reason why I ask: In Help is still the emtry
>> "About OpenOffice.org" instead of "About Apache OpenOffice" Whoever, i
>> found the points in the code (or better, I beleve I found it) and
>> changed it.
> no, see my previous mail and answer to Jan
>
>> http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/scripting/workben/bindings/writermenubar.xml#297
>>

>> I replaced the "OpenOffice.org" with "%PRODUCTNAME", but my local build
>> shows now "About OpenOffice". But the About Dialog is now called "About
>> Apache OpenOffice".
> yes this is correct at the moment
Now I understand why, so we redefine %PRODUCTNAME during the build process?

>> How ever, I'm lucky if sameone can explain me this behavior. Thanks!
> because it is "OpneOffice" but %PRODUCTNAME is not only defined in one
> place and is used differently. Please be careful and don't change things
> where you don't know for what they are good for. Or better don't check
> such changes in without discussing it in advance.
>
> You can break things quite easy here.
No panic, I would not check in the code without discousing here. For
this I have too less experiance util now. But It looks that the source
works. The Question is if I should use %PRODUCTNAME or not.

Greetings Raphael

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/13 1:09 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> Am 15.04.13 12:22, schrieb janI:
>> On 15 April 2013 11:53, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi at all
>>>
>>> I'm a bit comfused. What I get for %PRODUCTNAME? It is "OpenOffice" or
>>> "Apache OpenOffice"? Thanks for your Feedback.
>>>
>>> On my system I get "Apache OpenOffice", but I am not sure that it is
>>> like
>> in every part of the system (but it should be)
> Yes, it sould be... The reason why I ask: In Help is still the emtry
> "About OpenOffice.org" instead of "About Apache OpenOffice" Whoever, i
> found the points in the code (or better, I beleve I found it) and
> changed it.

no, see my previous mail and answer to Jan

> http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/scripting/workben/bindings/writermenubar.xml#297
>

> I replaced the "OpenOffice.org" with "%PRODUCTNAME", but my local build
> shows now "About OpenOffice". But the About Dialog is now called "About
> Apache OpenOffice".

yes this is correct at the moment

> How ever, I'm lucky if sameone can explain me this behavior. Thanks!

because it is "OpneOffice" but %PRODUCTNAME is not only defined in one
place and is used differently. Please be careful and don't change things
where you don't know for what they are good for. Or better don't check
such changes in without discussing it in advance.

You can break things quite easy here.

Juergen

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Hi Jan

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/13 2:10 PM, janI wrote:
> On 15 April 2013 13:50, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> or

>> product

>>> The question is, if this makes sense for downstream products. Well, it's
>>> anyway better then hard coded productnames.
>>
>> I see no problem here because both can be defined on the same or
>> whatever you want.
>>
> I find the idea good (to have %PRODUCTNAMESHORT and %PRODUCTNAMEFULL)
>

>> But to be serious I am tending to drop the flexibility here, as long as
>> I don't see that downstream products contribute back.
>>
> I dont agree with this, even if downstream products dont contribute back
> directly, they broaden the use of openoffice.
>
> I would really think twice before dropping this flexibility, since we can
> have at without extra resource usage.

well before I would put any energy in this I would solve other more
important issues.

But I even don't like the the take only approach ;-) And that the take
only fraction is doing anything good for the OpenOffice eco system is
questionable from my point of view.

Juergen

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/13 1:34 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> like
>>> in every part of the system (but it should be)
>>
>> no, it is not so easy and I am sure Oliver can provide more details. We
>> decided to use OpenOffice in most of the places in the installed product
>> and use Apache OpenOfifce only in the intro screen or the about dialog.
>>

> The About Box is where we claim the copyright and give the license, so that
> is one place where it will be important to use the full formal name of the
> product.
>
> Maybe we should have %PRODUCTNAMESHORT and %PRODUCTNAMEFULL

or we simply drop the variables completely ;-)

Juergen

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: %PRODUCTNAME

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 15.04.2013 11:53, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi at all
>
> I'm a bit comfused. What I get for %PRODUCTNAME? It is "OpenOffice" or
> "Apache OpenOffice"? Thanks for your Feedback.

As Jürgen already pointed out it is not that easy. There exist certain
source code snippets defining the one or the other 'product name' variable.

Due to the discussion regarding the 'renaming' issue 121388 [1] - see
mail thread 'Adapt the naming of our project deliverables -
"OpenOffice.org" --> "Apache OpenOffice"' - we decided to have mainly
'OpenOffice' as our product name inside the application. But 'Apache
OpenOffice' is also available.

Have a look at main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst - you will find
%PRODUCTNAME and %FULLPRODUCTNAME

[1] https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=121388

Best regards, Oliver.