Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/25 09:20:21 UTC

Re: Missing commit messages for rev 1158186 1159577, 1159583

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> I didn't see any commit messages for these revisions which I likely means that Christian isn't subscribed to the log4j-dev list using grobmeire@apache.org and the commit messages from SVN got bounced by the mailing list. I checked the status on the request for commits@logging.apache.org and it is still open, I added a request that any configuration that would allow SVN commit messages to get through would be appreciated.  I've made an attempt to add grobmeire@apache.org to the log4j-dev-allow list which hopefully will should let his messages get through without sending outgoing messages.

I have forwarded on of the commits in question before a while manually
and then subscribed to the list with my apache email address. Besides
these rvs you should have got all the other

> Two of the commits removed substantial sections of build.xml that are used in the Gump build which caused Gump to start failing to build extras and components as evidenced by the recent nag messages on log4j-dev.
>
> Maybe when he returns Stefan might update us on the current capabilities of Gump, but last time I visited it, it had limited abiiity with Maven, so it depended on the Ant build to provide the current nightly builds to the entire universe of code it rebuilds and tests several times a day. I've reverted the changes that removed the targets that Gump configuration depends upon. Hopefully that will eliminate the nag messages and allow Gump to build and test extras and component (and anything that depends on them again).

Actually Gump does now build again with Java 1.2. I am not sure how
that works without an error, because all of the components do use 1.4
features. Before reverting the commit, I would have tried to change
the Gump configuration.
Because it "fully supports Apache Ant, Apache Maven (1.x to 3.x)"
(gump.apache.org)
For the time being I would have preferred to leave Gump in an error
state and modify the Gump config instead or disable Gump for the mini
projects.

> It would be good to isolate whitespace changes from non-whitespace changes (or avoid whitespace only changes). One of the changes to build.xml had a decent number of indent changes (likely due to a code reformatter) in addition to some non-cosmetic changes. Reformatting the code, particularly in conjunction with actual changes, complicates code reviews in commit messages or ViewSVN. If you must reformat, reformat first, commit then make changes.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1159577
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1159583
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1158186

Will do the next time. I didn't want to change the formatting, but it
was so heavy to read, that I decided to do everything at once.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Combine Component and Receivers into extras or Chainsaw (was Re: Missing commit messages for rev 1158186 1159577, 1159583_

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Curt Arnold <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>>> Pulling old Chainsaw and lf5 out of core would have probably made up for the
>>> difference..but hey, that ship has sailed...maybe they could all be pulled
>>> into extras (component and receivers?)
>>
>> You mean, move the code from component and receivers into the extras trunk?
>> I am +1 on this - we could even kill the parent project then and get
>> rid of three releases and make only one for all
>

> I was playing catch on this one once the Gump builds started failing and then not finding any commit notifications in the email. I didn't see the heads up.
>
> The motivation to have "companions" as a distinct products was not to keep the log4j.jar trim, but allow the companions to be available for people who were stuck with older versions of log4j 1.2 (due to package managers or other software bundlers liking to distribution ancient versions of log4j 1.2).
>
> I am not aware of any other users of components and receivers other than Chainsaw, so another option would be to roll them into Chainsaw.

hey thats a pretty good idea too. Then Scott is 100% independent with
Chainsaw. After all, if somebody *really* needs the classes he can put
the chainsaw jar onto his classpath or extract them himself.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

Posted by Curt Arnold <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that's what I mean..would seem to simplify everything..

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Missing commit messages for rev 1158186 1159577, 1159583

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1 I agree with Christian on this...I believe we can go forward with
exclusively maven for companions...although to be honest it seems having
companions at all seems a little overkill..it's a few extra classes..seems
size was the main driver?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Curt,

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.