Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/22 01:03:24 UTC

ActiveMQ forums

Currently the http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/ has a link to a web
forums page that is hosted by LogicBlaze.

I can understand the need for a web forum - users who don't want to
subscribe to a mailing list, but couldn't that be addressed by directing
users to existing web forums that are a web interface to the mailing
lists that also allow messages to be posted.  For example, something like:

    http://www.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-f2354.html
    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.activemq.user/cutoff=3704

Currently there is activity happening on the web forums that is not
visible on the mailing lists, which should be the primary means of
communication for the project.

John

Re: ActiveMQ forums

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Agreed - nabble does look good. Users love forums & I was eventually
going to try suggest we use one on Apache projects - once we have the
confluence issue sorted (ducks flamewar).

Maybe Nabble is a good alternative for now? How about we setup the
Apache mail lists on nabble (looks to be the old codehaus ActiveMQ
lists on there right now) and try it out - if it works great we can
scrap the forums.

James

--

James
-------

Re: ActiveMQ forums

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I just submitted requests so that they archive the activemq and
service mix lists here at apache.

Regards,
Hiram

Hiram

Re: ActiveMQ forums

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi John,

oh that's awesome!  I had not realized that it would that simple.

We definitely need to get our lists on Nabble ASAP.  Who knows how to do that?

On 3/21/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiram Chirino wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Nabble looks nice!  Thanks for pointing that out.  Is it possible to
> > create accounts on gmane or nabble to post messages in the the forums?
> >  Most users of forum software are the kind that just want to pop in
> > and ask a quick question and then pop out.  Which is quite different
> > for the use pattern that most of us developers have.  Something the
> > bridge the 2 use cases would be most useful.
> >
> Having a further look at Nabble (never used it myself, but we have users
> on the Geronimo list that use it) it appears these are the steps you
> need to make before you can make your first post to a list:
>
> * Register (for free) at Nabble: http://www.nabble.com/user/Register.jtp
> * Receive and reply to the confirmation email from Nabble to confirm
> your email address is valid.
> * Go to the ASF list in Nabble (e.g. see Geronimo's at
> http://www.nabble.com/Apache-Geronimo---Users-f135.html )
> * Click on Post new message
> * The Post New Message screen is displayed with a warning that if you
> haven't subscribed that you must subscribe.
> * Click on "how to subscribe" link
> * Pop up window appears - click on Subscribe
> * Receive and reply to subscription confirmation from ASF list
>
> Once subscription is approved you can post a message.
>
> So there are a few steps that have to be done, but it is quite simple.
>
> Regards,
>
> John
> > On 3/21/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Currently the http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/ has a link to a web
> >> forums page that is hosted by LogicBlaze.
> >>
> >> I can understand the need for a web forum - users who don't want to
> >> subscribe to a mailing list, but couldn't that be addressed by directing
> >> users to existing web forums that are a web interface to the mailing
> >> lists that also allow messages to be posted.  For example, something like:
> >>
> >>     http://www.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-f2354.html
> >>     http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.activemq.user/cutoff=3704
> >>
> >> Currently there is activity happening on the web forums that is not
> >> visible on the mailing lists, which should be the primary means of
> >> communication for the project.
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hiram

Hiram

Re: ActiveMQ forums

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Re: ActiveMQ forums

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Agreed - nabble does look good. Users love forums & I was eventually
going to try suggest we use one on Apache projects - once we have the
confluence issue sorted (ducks flamewar).

Maybe Nabble is a good alternative for now? How about we setup the
Apache mail lists on nabble (looks to be the old codehaus lists on

--

James
-------

Re: ActiveMQ forums

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi John,

Nabble looks nice!  Thanks for pointing that out.  Is it possible to
create accounts on gmane or nabble to post messages in the the forums?
 Most users of forum software are the kind that just want to pop in
and ask a quick question and then pop out.  Which is quite different
for the use pattern that most of us developers have.  Something the
bridge the 2 use cases would be most useful.

On 3/21/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently the http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/ has a link to a web
> forums page that is hosted by LogicBlaze.
>
> I can understand the need for a web forum - users who don't want to
> subscribe to a mailing list, but couldn't that be addressed by directing
> users to existing web forums that are a web interface to the mailing
> lists that also allow messages to be posted.  For example, something like:
>
>     http://www.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-f2354.html
>     http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.activemq.user/cutoff=3704
>
> Currently there is activity happening on the web forums that is not
> visible on the mailing lists, which should be the primary means of
> communication for the project.
>
> John

Hiram