Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Li...@emc.com on 2007/11/20 22:39:30 UTC

Question about axiom_element_set_text

Hi, I have a general issue about the axiom_element_set_text function.  I
see that it requires an axiom_element_t* object as one of its arguments.
After looking in the source code, I noticed that this object is never
used at all in axiom_element_set_text.  It seems inconvenient to declare
an axiom_element_t* object in my program, pass it in into
axiom_element_set_text and then free it up, when I can just avoid
creating and freeing if the axiom_element_t* object is not being used in
axiom_element_set_text.  Is there a valid reason why an axiom_element_t*
object is required for axiom_element_set_text when it is never used in
that function?  Could it be possible to remove the axiom_element_t*
object from the arguments of axiom_element_set_text, so I don't have to
worry about creating and freeing axiom_element_t* objects?

Re: Question about axiom_element_set_text

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Edward,
Liu_Edward@emc.com writes:

> Hi, I have a general issue about the axiom_element_set_text function.  I
> see that it requires an axiom_element_t* object as one of its arguments.
> After looking in the source code, I noticed that this object is never
> used at all in axiom_element_set_text.  It seems inconvenient to declare
> an axiom_element_t* object in my program, pass it in into
> axiom_element_set_text and then free it up, when I can just avoid
> creating and freeing if the axiom_element_t* object is not being used in
> axiom_element_set_text.  Is there a valid reason why an axiom_element_t*
> object is required for axiom_element_set_text when it is never used in
> that function?

I think , it is used there, just for consistency in function
declaration. yes, I can also see there are some other functions that
pass axiom_element_t 's without using inside the function. I think we
should get rid of them. Could you please raise a jira?

>Could it be possible to remove the axiom_element_t*
> object from the arguments of axiom_element_set_text, so I don't have to
> worry about creating and freeing axiom_element_t* objects?
Didn't you try to pass the NULL as an argument for axiom_element_t ,
since it is not used in function, passing NULL value shouldn't be a
problem I guess.

thanks,
Dinesh