Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca> on 2012/11/06 16:22:38 UTC

cluster set-up / directory structure or something that I was originally confused about

Hadoopers,

Last month I asked question 2 and this is what I have recently learned.

If you decide to overwrite Hadoop default directories (recommended) this is what to keep in mind:

You create directories:

A. On Local Linux FS, using $ mkdir:
***************************

1. What:
/home/hadoop/dfs/name (required if you are running  NameNode on this node)
/home/hadoop/dfs/data (required if you are running DataNode)
 /home/hadoop/dfs/namesecondary (required if you are running SNN)

Where to specify property:
conf/hdfs-site.xml

NOTE: if you start NN/DN/SNN prior to creating those directories and modifying hdfs-site.xml file, a /tmp/..-hdfs/dfs/[name/data/namesecondary]  will be created for you on your local Linux file system.

2. What:
/home/mapred/local (required if you are running TT on this node)

Where to specify property :
conf/mapred-site.xml
NOTE: if you don't  create  this directory and modifying mapred-site.xml file, a /tmp/*/mapred /local  will be created for you on your local Linux file system when you start TT Daemon.

B. On HDFS, using $sudo -u hdfs hadop fs -mkdir
*************************************
1. What:
/tmp
/var/...... (depending on your MapReduce)
/user/<user>

2. What:
/home/hadoop/system (requires for the JT)
Where to specify property:
conf/mapred-site.xml
NOTE: if you start Job-Tracker Daemon on your NN before creating above directory. A default directory will be created inside your HDFS - /tmp/hadop/mapred/system

Each folder requires proper ownership. DFS  needs hdfs:hadoop / MapReduce needs mapred:hadoop

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Rds,
AK47