Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch> on 2018/12/18 05:10:57 UTC

why can't i login to tomcat7 status page from clean install zip

I do a clean install of the tomcat7 folder and rename it to just tomcat, and without changing ANYTHING and without adding any old files yet, I start the tomcat service and try to get to the status page, but this time it won't even let me log into anything at all either, no matter what I try.

This is the tomcat7 fresh download links I used

https://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

http://apache.mirrors.tds.net/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.92/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.92-windows-x86.zip

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html

I unzip the apache-tomcat-7.0.92-windows-x86.zip <http://apache.mirrors.tds.net/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.92/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.92-windows-x86.zip> and put it in the root of a custom web app that I have and then I use the service.bat install to trigger the services install, this is on windows server so I start it up in services.msc

I can go to localhost fine, but it won't let me login

I checked the tomcat user xml file a trillion times to triple check to make sure I have it right, but no matter what, even after multiple restarts, it won't even let me login to the status page!!!!!

401 Unauthorized

You are not authorized to view this page. If you have not changed any configuration files, please examine the file conf/tomcat-users.xml in your installation. That file must contain the credentials to let you use this webapp.

For example, to add the manager-gui role to a user named tomcat with a password of s3cret, add the following to the config file listed above.

<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager-gui"/>

Note that for Tomcat 7 onwards, the roles required to use the manager application were changed from the single manager role to the following four roles. You will need to assign the role(s) required for the functionality you wish to access.

 manager-gui - allows access to the HTML GUI and the status pages
 manager-script - allows access to the text interface and the status pages
 manager-jmx - allows access to the JMX proxy and the status pages
 manager-status - allows access to the status pages only

The HTML interface is protected against CSRF but the text and JMX interfaces are not. To maintain the CSRF protection:

 Users with the manager-gui role should not be granted either the manager-script or manager-jmx roles.
 If the text or jmx interfaces are accessed through a browser (e.g. for testing since these interfaces are intended for tools not humans) then the browser must be closed afterwards to terminate the session.

For more information - please see the Manager App HOW-TO.

Re: why can't i login to tomcat7 status page from clean install zip

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/12/2018 13:46, Bo wrote:
> apologize for what?

Your statement that "tomcat is horribly broken and buggy"

who did i insult

Everyone who has contributed to Tomcat.

Which, by the way, is provided to you free of charge. As is the support
you are receiving on this list.

> i stand by my claim,

Really? You haven't looked at the catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log file yet then.
I strongly suggest that you do so. After all, what is the point of
asking for help (even if you aren't very polite when you do so) if you
aren't going to then take the help when it is offered?

> seems thousands people having this issue, if it was
> intuitively and well designed, this wouldnt be a thing now would it
> https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46150

As that thread makes clear, some folks don't read instructions. Those
instructions are:
- in the file that needs to be edited
- right next to the part that needs to be edited
- in a dedicated comment block to separate them from other comments
  in the file.

And when those instructions aren't followed, there will be a nice
message in the log file explaining what the problem is. As you will find
when you look at the log files on your system.

Still waiting for that apology...

Mark

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.
apologize for what? who did i insult

i stand by my claim, seems thousands people having this issue, if it was

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.

Posted by Bob Hall <rf...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Bo,

Re: Migrating app from Tomcat5.5.17 to Tomcat7, getting Description The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Still ignoring the original question due to the thread hijacking.

As much as I'd like to leave this thread alone, here is some more
factual correction for the archives...

If you don't want/need a Windows service wrapper and you have a 64-bit
JVM for your OS that meets the minimum Java version for the version of
Tomcat you want to use, any Tomcat version will run quite happily on
that 64-bit JVM.

If you want to run a 64-bit JVM as a Windows service then the first
version of Tomcat that ships with all the bits you need is 5.5.28. All
subsequent versions also include everything you need.

You can get Tomcat versions before 5.5.28 running as a 64-bit Windows
service, it just requires a little manual configuration.

On 20/12/2018 13:48, Bo wrote:
> thats not true, i used winmerge to compare 32bit vs 64bit tomcat6, two
> changes are the tomcat6.exe is different as well as a .dll or something
> within the same location.since 32bit tomcat5 can only see and only use and only set 1024m, else
> service doesnt even start in services.msc, only option is to go to
> 64bit.

Not correct. a 32-bit process can see up to 2 GB by default and up to
3GB if you configure Windows with the right boot time options (that
takes me back). The Java heap that is available is going to vary based
on multiple factors. If the process has 2GB available then a maximum
heap of 1GB is a little on the low side (I'd normally expect a little
over 1.5GB) but it does depend what other options you are starting the
JVM with.

> tomcat6 has zips of 32bit vs 64bit, not true for tomcat5. so
> while 32bit tomcat5 runs under a 64bit os, thats not the definition of
> supporting 64bit

It is correct that Tomcat 5 does not have separate 32-bit and 64-bit
distributions. However...

apache-tomcat-5.5.28.zip contains:
/bin/tomcat5.exe  - 32-bit service wrapper (for 32-bit JVM)
/bin/tomcat5w.exe - 32-bit service manager (for 32 or 64-bit JVM)
/bin/procrun/amd64/tomcat5.exe - 64-bit service wrapper (for 64-bit JVM)
/bin/procrun/ia64/tomcat5.exe - 64-bit service wrapper (for 64-bit JVM)

So Tomcat 5 (from 5.5.28) does contain everything required to run as a
64-bit Windows service (on Itanium or Intel/AMD).

The separate 32-bit and 64-bit packages were added to make it easier for
users so they did not have to copy the right version of tomcat6.exe into
the bin directory. They just downloaded the right zip for their
architecture and the right tomcat6.exe was already in place.

Mark

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.
thats not true, i used winmerge to compare 32bit vs 64bit tomcat6, two
changes are the tomcat6.exe is different as well as a .dll or something
within the same location.since 32bit tomcat5 can only see and only use and only set 1024m, else
service doesnt even start in services.msc, only option is to go to
64bit.  tomcat6 has zips of 32bit vs 64bit, not true for tomcat5. so

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 20.12.2018 14:04, Bo wrote:
> there is no 64bit for v5, but i see one for v6 and above

That may be the case, but it has nothing to do with your problem.

I think that you may be a bit confused as to what tomcat is, and how it runs under Windows.
Maybe you should read this first : https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11

And then, when you have calmed down and have really understood what that means, re-read
Mark's and others previous answers, and you may understand what they mean.

And if you still do not understand,
- compose and send a /new/ messages to the list, with a new subject, to ask your question.
Do not just hit "reply" on some other message (not even this one).
(If you do not understand this part, see :
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thread%20Hijacking)
- do not start shouting your mouth about things that you do not understand, and affirm
things that are technically not true.
That upsets other people, in particular the people who donate their time to create tomcat
and provide it to you for free, and the people who donate their time to answer your
questions on this list, also for free.

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.
okay tomcat 6 is earliest/latest version that supports 64bit...

so instead of going from 5.5.17 to 7, when attemting to just go from 5.5.17 to 64bit version of 6, it crashes ... without the program it starts but adding it gives error like

Dec 19, 2018 10:48:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: Loaded APR based Apache Tomcat Native library 1.2.10 using APR version 1.5.2.
Dec 19, 2018 10:48:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: APR capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false], random [true].
Dec 19, 2018 10:48:57 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol.<clinit>(AjpAprProtocol.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.<init>(Connector.java:84)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ConnectorCreateRule.begin(ConnectorCreateRule.java:55)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:152)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1386)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1685)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:524)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:562)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:261)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:382)
... 26 more

2018-12-19 22:48:57 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
[...]

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
[...]
... 6 more

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bo,

Please do not:

1. Hijack threads
2. Email me personally

- -chris

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.
Hi:

[...]

_*
*_Apache Tomcat/7.0.92_*

I googled around and people advised that need to use Eclipse tool to help, but my server doesn't have it installed, the application was originally never built with it, never used it and didn't come with it, plus furthermore it doesn't appear some of the solutions are relevant to the issue that I'm facing...

What can I do to get this to work on tomcat7?

*diff changes from tomcat.initialoriginal to tomcat5517zip**
*
*
*
*
*
*in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\bin**
*
*jmx.jar LEFT SIDE ONLY**
*
*
*
*=====**
*
*In**
*
[...]
* **
*
*vs**
*
*
*
[...]
* /////////////////////////**
*
* **
*
[...]
*//////////////////////**
*
*
*
*
*
*in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps**
*
*exists**
*
*
*
*C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps\mantis**
*
*C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps\qms**
*
*C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps\ve**
*
*
*
*
*
*/////////**
*
*
*
*
*
*in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\work**
*
*exists**
*
*C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\work\Catalina**
*
*
*
*in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\work**
*
*exists**
*
*C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\veindex**
*
*C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\weblogs**
*
*
*
*
*
*//////**
*
*
*
*
*

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: why can't i login to tomcat7 status page from clean install zip

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.
here is screenshot

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bo,