Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/26 15:27:46 UTC

JMX Viewer

Chris,
    Thanks for the great work! I have been comparing jmx viewer with
the jconsole view. I would like to make some comments. I will start
with some features that are personal preferences and I do not have
strong opinion about them.
1. Is it possible to display 'Geronimo MBeans' (console.doc) sorted
according to the configurations they belong to? I like jconsole's
presentation (jconsole1.doc) and find it more informative. Here is the
link for running jconsole
http://www.nabble.com/Browsing-G-1.1-using-jconsole-p3982569.html
2. Is it possible to view tomcat MBeans?
3. I like the jconsole's view of the attributes (jconsole2.doc). The
attributes are color coded. Jconsole even allows modification of these
attributes. I am not sure if we want to allow that. Please compare this
with console2.doc
   The following are minor things that should be easy to fix -
1. The deploymentDescriptor attribute of the WebModule (see
framework.war) is not right.
2. In 'J2EE MBeans' --> attribute display the Getter and Setter columns
are redundant. And we should color code the value of
readable/writable/manageable attributes (jconsole2.doc). I do not know
how easy this will be.
3. Jconsole does not display GBeanInfo but JMX Viewer does. The JMX
viewer should display a message 'click here for more info' in the
geronimo.config -->'GBeanInfo' row, and display full information only
when the user clicks on it. Jconsole has similar feature for some
values. The current view (console3.doc) is hard to comprehend.
     I hope you find these comments constructive.

thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: JMX Viewer

Posted by "Christopher M. Cardona" <ch...@gmail.com>.
See inline comments...

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> Comments inline..
>
> --- "Christopher M. Cardona" <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> 1. Is it possible to display 'Geronimo MBeans' (console.doc) sorted
>>> according to the configurations they belong to?
>>>
> <snip>...............
>
>> One thing we can do is
>> add a list of ServiceModules and clicking each node will list its
>> MBeans
>> which is almost close to what you want.
>>

>    This would be nice to have.

OK. I already created a JIRA for this -
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2448.
>>> 2. Is it possible to view tomcat MBeans?
>>>

>> Yes. Currently there are two ways to do this the fastest. One option
>> is
>> to navigate the tree - Geronimo MBeans > GBean. Another option is to
>> do
>> an MBean search using a pattern like: “geronimo:j2eeType=GBean,*”.
>> Both
>> will give a list of all the GBeans which include the Tomcat MBeans.
>>

>    This only gives only the MBeans that have been exposed via GBeans. A
> typical tomcat MBean has a name attribute like:
> Name: Geronimo:type=Connector, port=8443, address=%2F0.0.0.0
>
>      If you are using kernel.listGBeans to find the MBeans, they will
> not be visible. One must query the MBeanserver to find these. Earlier
> listGBeans used to return all the MBeans. Let's wait for other
> suggestions about how to do this..

Yes my implementation is using Kernel.listGBeans() so I'm not doing a
direct query to the MBeanServer. There might be a reason why other
Tomcat MBeans are not being returned. I agree that we should wait for
suggestions to retrieve it.
>>> 3. I like the jconsole's view of the attributes (jconsole2.doc).
>>>
>> The
>>
>>> attributes are color coded. Jconsole even allows modification of
>>>
>> these
>>
>>> attributes. I am not sure if we want to allow that. Please compare
>>>
>> this
>>
>>> with console2.doc
>>>

>> I think this is doable. We can set the Attribute value’s color
>> depending
>> on its property (readonly, writable, unavailable). Right now
>> modifying
>> the attribute values is supported but with limitation. We can only
>> set
>> the values for attributes with primitive data types and some commonly
>>
>> used classes that can be constructed with a String class. A button
>> should display under the Setter column if an attribute is writable.
>> Not
>> sure if we want to allow this but my initial implementation allows
>> it.
>>

>    I get an 'error:invalid reply from the server' while setting the
> value using the setter button. After this the JMX viewer stopped
> working. It kept returning same error for all the clicks.

I'm not seeing this in my machine. Can you please file a jira for this
and include some steps on how to replicate the error?

>>>    The following are minor things that should be easy to fix -
>>> 1. The deploymentDescriptor attribute of the WebModule (see
>>> framework.war) is not right.
>>>

>> Can you give more details? What is not right?
>>

>    The value of DD is not right. (See DD.jpg). To create this search
> for j2eeType=WebModule and click on remote-deploy-tomcat. The DD was
> not listed as an attribute in the normal display of J2EEMBeans -->
> WebModule.
>    All the attributes of TomcatWebConnector are not listed.

I'm not seeing the exact problem you are seeing but I was able to
replicate the problem of not displaying all the attributes of a web
module. I created a jira for this -

>>> 2. In 'J2EE MBeans' --> attribute display the Getter and Setter
>>>
>> columns
>>
>>> are redundant. And we should color code the value of
>>> readable/writable/manageable attributes (jconsole2.doc). I do not
>>>
>> know
>>
>>> how easy this will be.
>>>

>> Can you explain more why you think it’s redundant?
>>

>     A readable attribute X implies it has a getter. If the attribute
> type is boolean the getter is 'isX' otherwise it is getX. The only
> exceptions to this are the magical attributes like classloader, kernel
> etc. Similarly a writable attribute implies a setter. We should use a
> different color for magical attribute (if possible).

IMO this might be automatic for us developers but not for
non-developers. We can’t expect that all users of the console are
technical. One reason why these columns are included here is for
completeness. These are all the information that we can extract from a
GAttributeInfo class. Another reason is the setter column is used to
display a button with the setter name as the label for setting writable
attributes. The getter might be used the same way for getting the latest
value of an attribute as a future enhancement. Removing these columns
will disable these features. I’m open to removing these columns if
others think this is a bad idea.

>>> 3. Jconsole does not display GBeanInfo but JMX Viewer does. The JMX
>>> viewer should display a message 'click here for more info' in the
>>> geronimo.config -->'GBeanInfo' row, and display full information
>>>
>> only
>>
>>> when the user clicks on it. Jconsole has similar feature for some
>>> values. The current view (console3.doc) is hard to comprehend.
>>>

>> A couple of things we can do here. One is to totally remove the
>> display
>> of GBeanInfo attribute which I think is redundant data or if we
>> decide
>> not to remove it then I can just copy what JConsole is doing which is
>> display ‘Unavailable’ for the GBeanInfo value. Your suggestion of
>> clicking and displaying full information needs more work because of
>> the
>> way Dojo table widget is designed. What do you think?
>>

>      We should remove it for now. If you think someone might want to
> add this feature in the future, please open a Jira issue.
>    Once again thanks for your enormous effort.

Agreed. Created a jira for this -
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2472.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best wishes,
chris

Re: JMX Viewer

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Comments inline..

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: JMX Viewer

Posted by "Christopher M. Cardona" <ch...@gmail.com>.
Anita,

Thanks for spending time on checking out the JMX viewer portlet. Your
comments are definitely helpful. Please see my comments below...

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> Chris,
>     Thanks for the great work! I have been comparing jmx viewer with
> the jconsole view. I would like to make some comments. I will start
> with some features that are personal preferences and I do not have
> strong opinion about them.
> 1. Is it possible to display 'Geronimo MBeans' (console.doc) sorted
> according to the configurations they belong to? I like jconsole's
> presentation (jconsole1.doc) and find it more informative. Here is the
> link for running jconsole
> http://www.nabble.com/Browsing-G-1.1-using-jconsole-p3982569.html

I think this is possible but we need to refactor our current design
which basically groups MBeans using the j2eeType. JConsole groups MBeans
using the object name keys following its order which IMO sometimes
doesn’t result to a very organized grouping. I would say this will be a
major change if we decide to implement this. One thing we can do is to
add a list of ServiceModules and clicking each node will list its MBeans
which is almost close to what you want. I’m open to other suggestions…

> 2. Is it possible to view tomcat MBeans?

Yes. Currently there are two ways to do this the fastest. One option is
to navigate the tree - Geronimo MBeans > GBean. Another option is to do
an MBean search using a pattern like: “geronimo:j2eeType=GBean,*”. Both
will give a list of all the GBeans which include the Tomcat MBeans.

> 3. I like the jconsole's view of the attributes (jconsole2.doc). The
> attributes are color coded. Jconsole even allows modification of these
> attributes. I am not sure if we want to allow that. Please compare this
> with console2.doc

I think this is doable. We can set the Attribute value’s color depending
on its property (readonly, writable, unavailable). Right now modifying
the attribute values is supported but with limitation. We can only set
the values for attributes with primitive data types and some commonly
used classes that can be constructed with a String class. A button
should display under the Setter column if an attribute is writable. Not
sure if we want to allow this but my initial implementation allows it.

>    The following are minor things that should be easy to fix -
> 1. The deploymentDescriptor attribute of the WebModule (see
> framework.war) is not right.

Can you give more details? What is not right?
> 2. In 'J2EE MBeans' --> attribute display the Getter and Setter columns
> are redundant. And we should color code the value of
> readable/writable/manageable attributes (jconsole2.doc). I do not know
> how easy this will be.

Can you explain more why you think it’s redundant?
> 3. Jconsole does not display GBeanInfo but JMX Viewer does. The JMX
> viewer should display a message 'click here for more info' in the
> geronimo.config -->'GBeanInfo' row, and display full information only
> when the user clicks on it. Jconsole has similar feature for some
> values. The current view (console3.doc) is hard to comprehend.

A couple of things we can do here. One is to totally remove the display
of GBeanInfo attribute which I think is redundant data or if we decide
not to remove it then I can just copy what JConsole is doing which is to