Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/27 14:54:40 UTC

[FRIDAY] You might be a pointy-haired-boss if ...

... you think blogs are a breakfast treat.

Engineer: "I like to start each day with a cup of coffee and a couple of blogs."

PHB: ... Hmmmm ... A cream-filled blog would hit the spot ...

-Ted.
** http://husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: [FRIDAY] You might be a pointy-haired-boss if ...

Posted by Simon Chappell <si...@gmail.com>.
Errr, depending on what sort of blogs you like to visit, that might
just be possible! There's all sorts on the Internet you know!

On 1/27/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... you think blogs are a breakfast treat.
>
> Engineer: "I like to start each day with a cup of coffee and a couple of blogs."
>
> PHB: ... Hmmmm ... A cream-filled blog would hit the spot ...
>
> -Ted.
> ** http://husted.com/ted/blog/

www.simonpeter.org
uab.blogspot.com

Re: [FRIDAY] You might be a pointy-haired-boss if ...

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.
... you want a clever reply to this thread yesterday.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Dave Newton wrote:
> - [ My list ]
Dammit!

- Sends a TODO list in Word, multiple items per paragraph, with the
stuff that's _already done_ HIGHLIGHTED.

Woot.

Re: [FRIDAY] You might be a pointy-haired-boss if ...

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
David G. Friedman wrote:
>> - You used to use grep to change strings in a file... >
>> 'back in the day' (seriously, he thinks he did)
>>
> sed 's/grep/sed/g'
> sed 's/back in the day/when we had punch cards/g'

I tried to convince him it was sed (or possibly awk, but that's...
unlikely) but he was quite adamant.

RE: [FRIDAY] You might be a pointy-haired-boss if ...

Posted by "David G. Friedman" <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
> - You used to use grep to change strings in a file... >
> 'back in the day' (seriously, he thinks he did)

sed 's/grep/sed/g'
sed 's/back in the day/when we had punch cards/g'

-D

Re: [FRIDAY] You might be a pointy-haired-boss if ...

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> ... you think blogs are a breakfast treat.

They're not?!

- Turn on task lamps at unoccupied desks when clients come in for a
meeting so it looks like you have employees
- Puts trash back on a cleaned-off shelf when a network technician comes
in so it looks like... uh... you really WANTED that jagged piece of metal
- Calls five minutes before coming in; we're still not sure why
- Stops by your desk to tell you he's going to send you an email: "Hi.
I'll be interrupting you later, too."
- _Calls_ your extension to tell you he sent an email
- Helps you design/code/test/etc. by standing directly behind you for
the entire time you are designing/coding/testing/etcing. Doesn't say
anything, will occasionally draw 4-5 boxes connected by lines and
arrows, mostly just stands (or sits) there.
- Occasionally attempts to engage you with conversation about stuff he
thinks you think is cool, but doesn't know enough to actually converse:
"Hey, I hear Matt Hughs is going to fight that Gracie guy. That should
be cool." ... "Yeah? You think? Why's that?" ... "I'm going to send you
an email. If you could take a look at it that would be great."
- Asks you to do an hours worth of work five minutes before you're
scheduled to leave
- A 3000-line JSP "controller" is good because it's "agile" and doesn't
create confusing filesystem clutter
- You used to use grep to change strings in a file... 'back in the day'
(seriously, he thinks he did)
- Five empty bullet-points define your "disaster recovery plan"
- Keeping 3G log files from four years ago is a good idea because they
might help you debug something today

Oh goddess...

Help...