Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2007/06/28 16:26:30 UTC

xopus support

Do we still support xopus? Given the recent number of changes required
to keep Kupu, BXE, FCKeditor, and TinyMCE working, I would guess that
the current incarnation of the xopus module is probably broken. Is
someone actively using xopus against the trunk?

Richard

Re: xopus support

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Richard Frovarp wrote:

> Do we still support xopus? Given the recent number of changes required
> to keep Kupu, BXE, FCKeditor, and TinyMCE working, I would guess that
> the current incarnation of the xopus module is probably broken. Is
> someone actively using xopus against the trunk?

not the trunk, but Lenya 1.2.x version.

Btw, you might want to consider Yulup (http://www.yulup.org) or the new
editor by the University of Zurich, whereas I don't know when and how
the new editor of the University of Zurich is being released as Open
Source ...

With Yulup with took great care to decouple it nicely from any specific
CMS implementation by using protocols such as Neutron, APP and WebDAV.
If other editors would follow, then it would be very simple for a CMS to
maintain resp. connect to such editors.

Cheers

Michael

> Richard

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: xopus support

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 09:26 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> Do we still support xopus? Given the recent number of changes required
>> to keep Kupu, BXE, FCKeditor, and TinyMCE working, I would guess that
>> the current incarnation of the xopus module is probably broken. Is
>> someone actively using xopus against the trunk?
>
> (missing Jörn to say the following)

:-D

the grim reaper is currently on leave :)

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

Re: xopus support

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
>>   Unlike BXE, the
>> current release of Xopus works on both IE and FF.  The major down side
>> for Lenya is that Xopus is a commercial product.
>

> Well, Xopus was once Open Source and I very well understand why it has
> become proprietary again. Also I don't think it's a problem if such a
> product is commercial, because Lenya doesn't force anyone to use it.
> Also it seems to me that you are mixing terms such as closed source
> and commercial product, which isn't the same.

Well the issue there is that unless someone buys a license of Xopus, the
devs don't have anything to test against. For me it's not a question of
commercial or forcing anyone to use it. The problem comes from support
of the editor due to the fact that none of the devs have a version to
test against. Looking at svn I do see some commits due to basic changes
that have affected all of the editors. However, it should probably be
considered an experimental module due to the fact, as far as I know, it
hasn't been tested recently.

Re: xopus support

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thomas Comiotto wrote:

>> IIRC Lenya was intended to allow arbitrary XML and not just XHTML,
>> so I would argue
>> that editors such as BXE, Xopus, Yulup are rather important for
>> Lenya to support and as you know BXE and Yulup
>> only run on Firefox and hence Xopus is a good alternative for IE/
>> Windows.
>>

> True.
>
> Yulup has no xml support in WYSIWYG mode

it does. See the demo http://demo.yulup.org

it might not be perfect, but it works

Cheers

Michael

Re: xopus support

Posted by Thomas Comiotto <th...@id.uzh.ch>.

> IIRC Lenya was intended to allow arbitrary XML and not just XHTML,
> so I would argue
> that editors such as BXE, Xopus, Yulup are rather important for
> Lenya to support and as you know BXE and Yulup
> only run on Firefox and hence Xopus is a good alternative for IE/
> Windows.

True.

Yulup has no xml support in WYSIWYG mode - it might have that at some

Re: xopus support

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Bob Harner wrote:

> On 6/29/07, Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:

>> editors,
>> >>

>> > I would suggest to add a comment that the interface is currently not
>> > maintained,
>> > but it seems to me that Xopus is a good alternative for people using
>> > IE and hence don't think that it should be removed.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Michael
>>
>> TinyMCE and FCKeditor are both usable by IE.
>>

> As I understand it, Xopus is an *XML* editor (like BXE), whereas
> TinyMCE and FCKeditor are really HTML/XHTML editors.

IIRC Lenya was intended to allow arbitrary XML and not just XHTML, so I
would argue
that editors such as BXE, Xopus, Yulup are rather important for Lenya to
support and as you know BXE and Yulup
only run on Firefox and hence Xopus is a good alternative for IE/Windows.

>   Unlike BXE, the
> current release of Xopus works on both IE and FF.  The major down side
> for Lenya is that Xopus is a commercial product.

Well, Xopus was once Open Source and I very well understand why it has
become proprietary again. Also I don't think it's a problem if such a
product is commercial, because Lenya doesn't force anyone to use it.
Also it seems to me that you are mixing terms such as closed source and
commercial product, which isn't the same.

> Bottom line: In 1.4 I think we should only keep the editors that have
> contributors who are willing to provide updates as needed by
> architecture changes.

I think this is one of the major problems. Lenya is a moving target and
people always have to change course
and hence people are not going to use it or just drop it for something
else. At some point you will realize that you won't have the resources
anymore yourself to keep up with ...

Cheers

Michael

Re: xopus support

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/07, Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >> (missing Jörn to say the following)
> >> We should remove it. Like you said we have quite a bandwidth of editors,
> >> xopus is AFAIK not used by anyone in trunk.
> >>

> > I would suggest to add a comment that the interface is currently not
> > maintained,
> > but it seems to me that Xopus is a good alternative for people using
> > IE and hence don't think that it should be removed.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Michael
>
> TinyMCE and FCKeditor are both usable by IE.

As I understand it, Xopus is an *XML* editor (like BXE), whereas
TinyMCE and FCKeditor are really HTML/XHTML editors.  Unlike BXE, the
current release of Xopus works on both IE and FF.  The major down side
for Lenya is that Xopus is a commercial product.

Bottom line: In 1.4 I think we should only keep the editors that have
contributors who are willing to provide updates as needed by
architecture changes.  This is like any other part of Lenya.

Re: xopus support

Posted by Thomas Comiotto <th...@id.uzh.ch>.

> TinyMCE and FCKeditor are both usable by IE.

These are xhtml only editors - xopus has support for schema guided
xml editing.
Keep the xopus stuff.

Bests
Thomas