Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Steve Lubbs <st...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/09 22:40:02 UTC

OS2 code

According to this page, https://www.openoffice.org/porting/index.html,
OS2 is no longer supported. Isn't it time we remove the OS2-specific
code from the code base? BTW, OS2 was my favorite OS back in the day.

Steve Lubbs

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 19.01.21 22:00, Steve Lubbs wrote:
> On 1/18/21 6:03 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>
> The Project does accept bug reports. And Code testing and bug fixing
> is done by bitworks.
>
> That's the part I was missing.
>
> Maybe it is that there is a Fuzziness on who is the Project? Who
> releases the Community binary version? Who releases the binary OS/2
> Version and Who releases the Source Code? It is all a bit mixed or
> separated in a strange way.
>
> For a newbie, at least this one, that is so.

I honestly never thought of these questions. In general we do not
promote individuals / groups so much. And we focus more on the common
goal on creating the next improvement. Those people who do something are
active and those who are not are not.

For example if you would be interested to create a OS/2 release on your
own, I would try to connect you with yuri and try to work something out.
So you 2 can move together. No issue.

> Thanks for the clarification,

You are Welcome

Peter

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

RE: Who is the Project? was: OS2 code

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I would like to express a criticism [1] in this regard:

But to be able to do certain things in the project, _which essentially determine the direction of the project_ (e.g. release) depends very much on the status.

Unfortunately, some project members are denied this status for no reason. (I write "no reason" because it was explained to me that there are no personal reasons for this)

[1]
Excuse me, but I would like to state right away: I am expressing factual criticism here and am not writing a 'poisoned mail' or conducting a personnel discussion.

Jörg

Who is the Project? was: OS2 code

Posted by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Hello,

Your question is valis. But the answer is might be a little fuzzy.

 From a formal view an Apache Project needs a PMC with some members and
some committers (all PMC members are "committers", but some committers
might not be PMC members).

But that is not the whole truth, esp. not for the Apache OpenOffice project.

This project and its community is much larger than the PMC and the group
of "committers". There are people doing for example user support in a
great way without being committers. (They do not need committer's rignts
for doing it.) There are some more examples.

Someone can also do a job normally a committer does if (s)he has a
committer as "sponsor".

So being part of the Apache OpenOffice project and its community depends
oo a nonformal acceptance by "peers", not on a formal status.

Everybody can release binaries of AOO because it is Free Software.

"Community binaries" are built by committers and tested by anybody. They
are published as versions on the basis of a vote of the committers,
needing a minimum of positive votes of PMC members (so called binding
votes).

But anybody who uses the trademark in a fair manner can build and
distribute AOO binaries.

Don't forget: Life is not black and white (binary); it's colorful!

Kind regards
Michael

Re: OS2 code

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 19.01.21 01:05, Steve Lubbs wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Comments inline in red.
>
> On 1/18/21 2:03 AM, Dr. Michael Stehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think we have to differ between responsibility and merit and support.
> To my mind responsibility implies support. Support implies ongoing
> coding, testing, and bug fixing efforts involving not only the code
> but the build process.
The Project does accept bug reports. And Code testing and bug fixing is
done by bitworks.

>> On the webpage we IMO have to clarify we are not responsible for the
>> OS/2 port and the merits belong to others.
> I think that those points are made pretty well at the top of the page.
> But clarification is always good.

IMHO the page honors none Apache Groups in their work, as we honor
committers and volunteers. We just do not make a big fuzz of it to
mention it all the time. So we have it for those who care. This is my
personal interpretation and it differs from the other views.

Which imho makes no view invalid.

>> But in our code we IMO should do what is in our potentials to support
>> such a port.
> An argument can be made that to support implies, at a minimum,
> maintenance effort, as described above, on the part of the AOO
> project. As I understand it there has been no maintenance effort on
> the part of the AOO project for some time. Without any maintenance
> effort the code will inevitably become stale, including the build.
> Unfortunately the only way to determine this is to build it and test
> it which brings us back to some level of maintenance.
All this points are addressed much better for OS/2 then our Windows
code. I do not understand why OS/2 is such a fuzz to you, despite of
lets say other OS ports which we still have code in our stomach and no
one would thing of removing.

>> So please keep the OS/2 code as far as it is usefull.
>
> Removing the OS2 code from future versions is not the same as making
> it unavailable. It will continue to be available in earlier versions.
> This can be elucidated on the porting page.
>
> Besides the points I've already made, keeping the OS2 code in the
> repository is confusing, especially to those new to the project as I
> am. I'm in the process of reverse engineering and documenting the
> design of the concurrency and threading in AOO so as to help myself
> and, in some small way those who follow, to understand the design of
> AOO. Believing OS2 to be currently supported I wasted time going down
> that rabbit hole. It was only when I happened to read the porting page
> that I realized that my efforts WRT OS2 were not warranted. If it
> happened to me it's bound to happen to others. :-\

We have a lot more confusing stuff then the OS/2 code. The first
confusing thing is the multiple string implementations, which we still
feature. :(

For me the OS/2 Code has been never a real problem. I rather liked to
look at the different implementations. And once I understood how the OS
Code is separated, it is not a big deal anymore. And if there is a
platform specific differentiation on higher levels of OpenOffice, we
should look at that code and move it on lower levels if possible.
Ideally only a handful of modules are platform dependent.

> The question I'm asking is, given the lack of responsibility and/or
> support by the AOO project for the OS2 code and the fact that we can
> easily inform anyone who is or will be involved in porting to OS2 (or
> any other formerly supported platforms) where the no longer supported
> code may be found, should we clean up the code base by removing the
> unsupported code from future versions?
But the code is supported? I have a hard time to understand why this is
an issue to you. Maybe it is that there is a Fuzziness on who is the
Project? Who releases the Community binary version? Who releases the
binary OS/2 Version and Who releases the Source Code? It is all a bit
mixed or separated in a strange way. Really this hole stuff matters only
when we look upon releases. In all other questions it does not play a role.

> I wonder if, after the discussion is concluded there should be a(n)
> (in)formal policy or guidance for the future.
The Policy guidance is Community over code. This is the way ;)

All the best

Peter

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Steve Lubbs <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Comments inline in red.

On 1/18/21 2:03 AM, Dr. Michael Stehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we have to differ between responsibility and merit and support.
To my mind responsibility implies support. Support implies ongoing
coding, testing, and bug fixing efforts involving not only the code but
the build process.

> On the webpage we IMO have to clarify we are not responsible for the
> OS/2 port and the merits belong to others.
I think that those points are made pretty well at the top of the page.
But clarification is always good.

> But in our code we IMO should do what is in our potentials to support
> such a port.
An argument can be made that to support implies, at a minimum,
maintenance effort, as described above, on the part of the AOO project.
As I understand it there has been no maintenance effort on the part of
the AOO project for some time. Without any maintenance effort the code
will inevitably become stale, including the build. Unfortunately the
only way to determine this is to build it and test it which brings us
back to some level of maintenance.

> So please keep the OS/2 code as far as it is usefull.

Removing the OS2 code from future versions is not the same as making it
unavailable. It will continue to be available in earlier versions. This
can be elucidated on the porting page.

Besides the points I've already made, keeping the OS2 code in the
repository is confusing, especially to those new to the project as I am.
I'm in the process of reverse engineering and documenting the design of
the concurrency and threading in AOO so as to help myself and, in some
small way those who follow, to understand the design of AOO. Believing
OS2 to be currently supported I wasted time going down that rabbit hole.
It was only when I happened to read the porting page that I realized
that my efforts WRT OS2 were not warranted. If it happened to me it's
bound to happen to others. :-\

The question I'm asking is, given the lack of responsibility and/or
support by the AOO project for the OS2 code and the fact that we can
easily inform anyone who is or will be involved in porting to OS2 (or
any other formerly supported platforms) where the no longer supported
code may be found, should we clean up the code base by removing the
unsupported code from future versions?

I wonder if, after the discussion is concluded there should be a(n)
(in)formal policy or guidance for the future.

Good discussion.

Steve

Re: OS2 code

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
> Am 18.01.21 um 18:33 schrieb Marcus:
>> Am 18.01.21 um 04:01 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
>>> To begin with the use of the phrase "third-party port" in this
>>> context indicates to me that a coding/testing activity is required to
>>> support the target of the port which is not being done by the AOO
>>> project.
>>>
>>> Here are the statements on the page (that may need to be modified)
>>> that indicate to me that the AOO project does not currently support
>>> OS2. Bolded, underlined, and in red.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> interesting, I've never thought that the level of support needs a more
>> detailed explaination.
>>
>> I'll think about the suggested changes and would do it in a few days
>> or next weekend.
>
> Maybe the wording of the page can be enhanced, but we should *never*
> delete a single line of code that is helpful for others to build
> OpenOffice on their preferred platform.

I don't know if this is a direct answer to my mail. So, just to avoid
any misunderstanding.

Of course nobody will delete code for a platform without discussing this
first on dev@.

The root course is a wrong impression of the website text. And only here
a fix will be done.

Marcus

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 18.01.21 um 18:33 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 18.01.21 um 04:01 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
>> To begin with the use of the phrase "third-party port" in this
>> context indicates to me that a coding/testing activity is required to
>> support the target of the port which is not being done by the AOO
>> project.
>>
>> Here are the statements on the page (that may need to be modified)
>> that indicate to me that the AOO project does not currently support
>> OS2. Bolded, underlined, and in red.
>>
>> [...]
>
> interesting, I've never thought that the level of support needs a more
> detailed explaination.
>
> I'll think about the suggested changes and would do it in a few days
> or next weekend.

OS/2 code is part of our official source. So is FreeBSD code...
And despite not having a release for ARM chips it is part of our code base.

Maybe the wording of the page can be enhanced, but we should *never*
delete a single line of code that is helpful for others to build
OpenOffice on their preferred platform.

In fact this may be the main difference to "other" office suites, that
are only driven by commercial interest.

Matthias

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 23.01.21 um 23:46 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
> How about something along the lines of:
>
> <<<<<<<< Begin Verbiage >>>>>>>>
> The following list of third-party ports and distributions is made
> available as a service to the community.The Apache OpenOffice project
> does not officially endorse or maintain these packages. If you have a
> port or distribution that you want to be listed here please send the
> details to our public mailing list <ma...@openoffice.apache.org>.
>
> In some cases the Apache OpenOffice project may be able to cooperate
> with the a porting project. If you wish to discuss how the Apache
> OpenOffice project may be able to help with your port please check here:
> <link or mailing list>.
>
> <<<<<<<< End Verbiage >>>>>>>>

OK, I'll change the text. In a few days there will be a new release, so
I'll put both together on the public website.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Steve Lubbs <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcus,

How about something along the lines of:

<<<<<<<< Begin Verbiage >>>>>>>>
The following list of third-party ports and distributions is made
available as a service to the community.The Apache OpenOffice project
does not officially endorse or maintain these packages. If you have a
port or distribution that you want to be listed here please send the
details to our public mailing list <ma...@openoffice.apache.org>.

In some cases the Apache OpenOffice project may be able to cooperate
with the a porting project. If you wish to discuss how the Apache
OpenOffice project may be able to help with your port please check here:
<link or mailing list>.

<<<<<<<< End Verbiage >>>>>>>>

Regards,
Steve

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Steve Lubbs <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Steve Lubbs <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcus,

To begin with the use of the phrase "third-party port" in this context
indicates to me that a coding/testing activity is required to support
the target of the port which is not being done by the AOO project.

Here are the statements on the page (that may need to be modified) that
indicate to me that the AOO project does not currently support OS2.
Bolded, underlined, and in red.

_*Apache OpenOffice (AOO) is a productivity suite which is already
*__*officially available for the following platforms
<https://www.openoffice.org/download/>*__*: *_

_**_

  * _*Windows - XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 (32-bit)*_
  * _*Linux - RPM / DEB-based (32-bit and 64-bit)*_
  * _*MacOS X (Intel) - 10.4 (Tiger) up to 10.15 (Catalina)*_

** This tells me that OS2 is not supported by the AOO project.

  Apache OpenOffice - Third-Party ports and distributions

The following list of third-party ports and distributions is made
available as a service to the community. _*The Apache OpenOffice project
does not officially endorse or maintain these packages.*_ If you have a
port or distribution that you want to be listed here please send the
details to our public mailing list <ma...@openoffice.apache.org>.

** This indicates to me that that ports to unsupported platforms are the
responsibility of those engaging in the process of porting and that
those third parties presumably outside of the AOO project.

  *

          Apache OpenOffice for OS/2
          <https://www.bitwiseworks.com/news/#122020>

    _*A port to *__*OS/2 <https://www.arcanoae.com/>*__*by *__*Yuri
    Dario <mailto:ydario(a)apache.org>*__*and *__*bww bitwise works GmbH
    <https://www.bitwiseworks.com/>*__*. *_

** This tells who the third party doing the port is.

So it seems that OS2 is not supported by the AOO project. I assume that
the AOO project is not updating the OS2 code. So a porting organization
would need to make changes to the OS2 code that existed at the time OS2
was last supported. It would make sense then that they would have their
own forked instance of the OS2 code that they were updating as changes
to the non-OS2 code occurred. So, OS2 is not supported by the AOO
project and the code required to support a port is available in earlier
versions of the AOO code.

This is my reasoning. I'm just wondering if the AOO team should consider
performing a cleanup of code that is unused by the project. Of course
it's true that I don't know if any policy covers this. That's why I'm
asking.

Re: OS2 code

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: OS2 code