Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kees van Dieren <ke...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/16 13:21:15 UTC

DependencyManagement and range constraints

Hi all,

We have a problem with DependencyManagement and range constraints; the
version in DependencyManagement seems to override all ranges defined
elsewhere (as if they have never been there).  What we need, is that range
constraints still apply to guarantee compatibility between the dependencies.

We have the following situation:
ProjectA
ProjectB version 0.4.0 has dependency on projectA, with range [0.5.0,)
ProjectC has a dependencyManagement section, in which projectA is defined on
version 0.4.0 and projectB is defined on version 0.4.0

Maven should warn us that this will not work: projectB requires version
0.5.0 or higher, however this doesn't work.

We have tried the following versions in dependencyManagement:
<version>[0.4.0]</version>
<version>0.4.0</version>

>From ranges perspective, I would expect that [0.4.0] should be the correct
one. However, than the dependencyManagent version gets ignored!
Version 0.4.0 makes the dependencyManagement apply, but the build does not
fail because of the defined range dependencies.

According to MNG-3396 it should have been solved in 2.0.9, quote from issue:
" If you try to force a version out of the range in the dependencyManagement
it is ignored."

However, we are using that and we still have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Kees van Dieren