Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Vincent <jv...@novell.com> on 2005/07/15 23:06:14 UTC

Can I check out/access the hook scripts remotely through the svn client?

		I was just wondering if there was an equivalent to the
"cvs checkout CVSROOT" command so that I can modify my hook scripts (I
can't find any).  The SVN server is managed by our IS&T department and I
don't have physical (or ssh) access.

I want to add some stuff to the pre_commit script to check for the
svn:keywords property and if possible, things like copyright notices and
such on certain types of source code files.  I am trying to get as close
to server-side updating of embedded keywords like $Id$ as possible.

Re: Can I check out/access the hook scripts remotely through the svn client?

Posted by Chris Jensen <cj...@edex.com.au>.
Jeff Vincent wrote:
> 		I was just wondering if there was an equivalent to the
> "cvs checkout CVSROOT" command so that I can modify my hook scripts (I
> can't find any).  The SVN server is managed by our IS&T department and I
> don't have physical (or ssh) access.

You could check the hooks directory into the repository somewhere, and
set up a hook script to run
	svn up
on the hooks directory whenever a change is commited.
Of course, if someone commites a borked script to the hooks directory,
then you could have a hell of a time trying to fix it.

Chris

(PS Don't reply to a thread to ask a new question, because people who
have ignored the original thread will ignore your message too.
Your question will have a larger audience if you start a new thread.)

Chris Jensen cjensen@edex.com.au

Educational Experience (Australia)
Postal Address: PO Box 860, Newcastle NSW 2300
Freecall:       1-800-025 270      International: +61-2-4923 8222
Fax:            (02) 4942 1991     International: +61-2-4942 1991

Visit our online Toy store! http://www.toysandmore.com.au/

Re: Can I check out/access the hook scripts remotely through the svn client?

Posted by Martin Schayna <ms...@aktis.cz>.
Jeff Vincent wrote:
> 		I was just wondering if there was an equivalent to the
> "cvs checkout CVSROOT" command so that I can modify my hook scripts (I
> can't find any).  The SVN server is managed by our IS&T department and I
> don't have physical (or ssh) access.

Just make your scripts as part of your regular repository, but keep
them in special folder besides standard trunk/branches/tags, e.g.
hooks. Update & commit changes from your working copy as normal, but
in post-commit script (running on server) copy new versions of
scripts to hooks directory in your repository.

You can combine this with standard solution for rights by pre-commit
script and allow only you to change files in hooks folder in repo.

Martin Schayna