Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it> on 2010/04/29 18:19:57 UTC

Rivet 2.0.0 tarball uploaded to www.apache.org

The tarball of rivet 2.0.0 has been uploaded to the apache web
infrastructure. The release is available now at:

http://www.apache.org/dist/tcl/rivet/

   An announce should appear on the website tomorrow after the tar
archive has propagated through some of the many mirrors hosting ASF
software .

I'm also preparing a document to be published on the website listing the
(so far) few known problems with this release. After I uploaded the
tarball I noticed a small mistake in the INSTALL file, that shouldn't
prevent a user from building the module though. It's been corrected in
the 2_0 branch and will be commited soon.

  -- Massimo

Re: Rivet 2.0.0 tarball uploaded to www.apache.org

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
Hi Massimo

> I hope I passed the exam. :-)

I don't think it was one ;-) It's just that my personal practice is to
create branches for either strange new stuff to explore that cannot go
to head (yet) or keep them as "bug fix extension points" when the trunk
is already on to the next iteration, but there is a need to "just fix"
an older release: on trunk, I develop, on branches I play or fix.

But as I wrote in my previous mail, I was "just wondering"... Never
miss an opportunity to look at something through someone elses eyes :-)

Regards
Ronnie
--
Ronnie Brunner | ronnie.brunner@netcetera.ch
phone +41-44-247 79 79 | fax +41-44-247 70 75

Re: Rivet 2.0.0 tarball uploaded to www.apache.org

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi Ronnie,

good questions that make me critically examine what I did.

First of all, we can still tag the code in trunk to follow your suggestion, if
we deem it as a good course of action. I would consider the possibility and,
in case, tag it before new commits happen.

Second reason: since a 1_0 branch has existed now for quite a long time I
assumed this was a policy D-D had decided sometime in the past. Admittedly I
had to ask explicitly.

The third reason is that we still can copy further developments from trunk
into 2_0 at will, as long as we think they won't break anything. I expect
trunk to diverge from 2_0 though, at least we have to keep the possibility
open. Sooner or later the support for apache 1.x will be dropped in trunk
making room for support of new apache versions, whereas I think of the 2_0
branch as something that will maintain the apache 1 code even though we will
make fixes, adjustments and improvements on it. Unlike in the typical example
for a branch I don't see 2_0 as a branch that will join in the future the
development in trunk.

I hope I passed the exam. :-)

regards

  -- Massimo

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:40:24 +0200, Ronnie Brunner wrote

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.
> Excellent!  Thanks for taking on the official release bits and getting things cleaned up, Massimo.  I think I'll grab the new release once it's posted and do some work on my server.  See what shakes loose.  I'm not even sure what I have installed on my server these days. 0-]

A big thanks to Massimo from me, too!

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Rivet 2.0.0 tarball uploaded to www.apache.org

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
Excellent!  Thanks for taking on the official release bits and getting things cleaned up, Massimo.  I think I'll grab the new release once it's posted and do some work on my server.  See what shakes loose.  I'm not even sure what I have installed on my server these days. 0-]

Damon