Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Franklin Schmidt <fs...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/20 04:33:27 UTC

case problems on Windows

I am having problems renaming files where I am just changing case.
Here is an example:

I check out 2 copies of a project on Windows XP.

in copy 1:
touch a
svn add a
svn commit -m ''

in copy 2:
svn update

in copy 1:
svn move a b
svn commit -m ''
svn move b A
svn commit -m ''

in copy 2:
svn update

This generates an error, so I try:

svn update a
svn update

Now I get:

svn: Can't copy '.svn/text-base/a.svn-base' to
'.svn/tmp/text-base/a.svn-base.tmp': The system cannot find the file
specified.

And now there is nothing I do but delete the whole directory and check
it out again.  Can't subversion handle this better somehow?

Re: case problems on Windows

Posted by Franklin Schmidt <fs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:09:47 +0100, Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org> wrote:
> Franklin Schmidt wrote:
> > I am having problems renaming files where I am just changing case.
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#case-change

I read this.  2 questions:  First, is it acceptable that by almost
following the recommendation in this URL, just deviating by doing one
mistaken "svn update", I arrive at an unrecoverable state where there
no other option but to delete the directory and start over?  And
second, more generally, is the subversion community serious about
supporting Windows as a platform?  If yes, why not make "svn move" an
atomic operation and solve the basic problem?

Re: case problems on Windows

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.

--
Martin Tomes