Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Tao Lin <li...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/02 06:19:33 UTC

How to limit network's throughput?

Hi,all:
  I tried to limit VMs' network throughput but failed to do so.I first set
the global setting of vm.network.throttling.rate to 8 (it means 8 Mb/s,
1MB/s )and restarted management-server,  then created an service offering
in which the Network-Rate option was limited to 1MB.Finally I started a new
VM.However, the settings seemed not work because the VM's network
throughput was able to  reach to 11MB/s which is the maximum value of my
switch.
I'm working with CS4.1,CentOS6.4, and using KVM as the hypervisor.All the
machines including VMs are located on a single subnet of 192.168.1.0/24.

Re: How to limit network's throughput?

Posted by Dave Dunaway <da...@gmail.com>.
If you are doing this in Vmware land, then the port group itself is set to
a certain rate. So if the port group has already been created, it will have
the pre-existing rate set for the port group. You can change this through
the vcenter API and set the port groups to whatever rate you want.When you
drop in the new rate, a new port group will be made with the rate limiting
and your hosts in it.

hth!

dave.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.