Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2006/09/01 06:08:43 UTC

Re: copying references

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> All: shouldn't Ant have an e.g. <refcopy> task?

We probably never felt the need for it, but why not.  I'm not sure
about the name since copy implies cloning to me.  Something with
"alias" in its name?

Stefan

Re: copying references

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Matt Benson
> <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > All: shouldn't Ant have an e.g. <refcopy> task?
>
> We probably never felt the need for it, but why not.
>  I'm not sure
> about the name since copy implies cloning to me.
> Something with
> "alias" in its name?

1) "alias" to me implies a relationship between the
_names_; which is what we have today with <foo id="x"
refid="y" />.  But if we decide to go this route, I'm
sure we can compromise semantically.

Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on DD's
assertion that the concrete use-case (modifying
imported references) could be better solved by scoping
imported references as targets? [1]

-Matt

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=115703947632596&w=2