Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matt Jezorek <ma...@bluelinux.org> on 2001/08/29 17:15:31 UTC

Tried just about everything

Cocoon 2 from CVS
Tomcat 4 beta 7

no extra jars no extra anything.

edited the web.xml in the webapps/WEB-INF from the cvs checkout to include
the path to the servlet.jar

used ./build.sh -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes webapp

copyed the cocoon.war file to the /home/jakarta-tomcat/webapps directory

ran the ./startup.sh in the bin dir

and hit

http://www.bluelinux.org:8080/cocoon/

this is what i got

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet Cocoon2 threw
exception
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:852)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:602)
 at
va:214)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
va:215)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2314)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164
)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
:163)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
1000)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1093
)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

with a root cause of

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
/home/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b7/work/localhost/cocoon read)
 at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java
:272)
 at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)
 at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)
 at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:890)
 at java.io.File.exists(File.java:546)
 at java.io.File.mkdirs(File.java:978)
 at org.apache.cocoon.util.IOUtils.createFile(IOUtils.java:302)
 at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:150)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:833)

Re: Tried just about everything

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
Please, when posting a new thread to the list, don't reply to an existing
thread. It confuses message threading on mail clients.

Now, about your problem, please tell us which OS are you using, and which JVM.
Do you have any extra JARs on the JRE's ext directory?

I had C2b2 running out of the box with Tomcat 4b7 on Linux with Sun's JDK 1.3.1.
It didn't involve editing the web.xml from the cvs checkout. Just your build
command and copying the WAR archive to webapps.

From: "Matt Jezorek" <ma...@bluelinux.org>

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it>.
On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:15:31AM -0400, Matt Jezorek wrote:
> ran the ./startup.sh in the bin dir
>
> and hit
>
> http://www.bluelinux.org:8080/cocoon/
>
> this is what i got

> java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
> /home/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b7/work/localhost/cocoon read)

There you go. Fix the permissions of /home/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b7/work/
allowing Tomcat to read/write there and you should be set.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

Re: Tried just about everything

Posted by Matt Jezorek <ma...@bluelinux.org>.
doing the easy way out giving up

Posted by Matt Jezorek <ma...@bluelinux.org>.
Big thanks. everything is running now

http://www.bluelinux.org:8080/cocoon/

=)
Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Matt,

	I've just checked my installation. Cocoon 2.0 works out of the box
	with Tomcat 4.0b7, without need to modify the web.xml. The
	documentation needs to be clarified here.

	If you are still having problems, then please send in your cocoon.log
	and tomcat servlet log files so we can take a look at them to help
	diagnosis.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Marcus Crafter wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> 	Thanks for the pointer, with Tomcat 4.0b7 this was not needed for me,
> 	Cocoon worked out of the box. I'll test this a bit further and clarify
> 	the Cocoon documentation.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Marcus
>
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Matt Jezorek wrote:
>
> > Yes but it says in the cocoon instructions to add it to the
> > cocoon/webapps/WEB-INF/web.xml
> >
> > Quote:
> >
> > "Tomcat 4.0 does not expose the servlet.jar file to Apache Cocoon by
> > default, so before you build the Apache Cocoon webapp you will need to add
> > the following to the Apache Cocoon servlet definition in the web.xml file"
> >
> > so I did that I did exactly what it states on the install at
> >
> > http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/install.html

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Matt,

	Thanks for the pointer, with Tomcat 4.0b7 this was not needed for me,
	Cocoon worked out of the box. I'll test this a bit further and clarify
	the Cocoon documentation.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Matt Jezorek wrote:

> Yes but it says in the cocoon instructions to add it to the
> cocoon/webapps/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> Quote:
>
> "Tomcat 4.0 does not expose the servlet.jar file to Apache Cocoon by
> default, so before you build the Apache Cocoon webapp you will need to add
> the following to the Apache Cocoon servlet definition in the web.xml file"
>
> so I did that I did exactly what it states on the install at
>
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/install.html

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Matt Jezorek <ma...@bluelinux.org>.
I have opened the disk wide open on those directories to 0777 I am running
Linux on a Cobalt RAQ3 with most current jdk and jre. I have absolutly
nothing extra in the class path only what is default to jdk , jre, tomcat,
and cocoon.

I will try to get both tomcat and cocoon from cvs and just make the war file
without touching any files and see if it will work then.

-Matt

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@managingpartners.com>.