Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/11/25 21:36:26 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.2

The proposed Apache Tomcat 9.0.2 release is now available for voting.

The major changes compared to the 9.0.1 release are:

- Java 9 is fully supported

- Fixed numerous JASPIC issues with patches from Lazar

- Update the packaged version of the Tomcat Native Library to
  1.2.16 to pick up the latest Windows binaries built with
  APR 1.6.3 and OpenSSL 1.0.2m

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-9/v9.0.2/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1160/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_9_0_2/

The proposed 9.0.2 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
[ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 9.0.2

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/11/17 21:36, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 9.0.2 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 9.0.1 release are:
>
> - Java 9 is fully supported
>
> - Fixed numerous JASPIC issues with patches from Lazar
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Tomcat Native Library to
>   1.2.16 to pick up the latest Windows binaries built with
>   APR 1.6.3 and OpenSSL 1.0.2m
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-9/v9.0.2/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1160/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_9_0_2/
>
> The proposed 9.0.2 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 9.0.2

Unit tests pass for NIO, NIO2 and APR/native with Tomcat Native 1.2.16
on Windows, OSX and Linux.

I think we are fairly close to a stable release but I'd like to see what
issues emerge over at least one more release cycle before voting stable.

Mark

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

+1 (beta): markt, remm, huxing, violetagg, cutherl

No other votes were cast.

The vote therefore passes.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this release.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.2

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 9.0.2 release is now available for voting.
>
> The major changes compared to the 9.0.1 release are:
>
> - Java 9 is fully supported
>
> - Fixed numerous JASPIC issues with patches from Lazar
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Tomcat Native Library to
>   1.2.16 to pick up the latest Windows binaries built with
>   APR 1.6.3 and OpenSSL 1.0.2m
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-9/v9.0.2/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1160/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_9_0_2/
>
> The proposed 9.0.2 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 9.0.2

+1

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.2

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. (simple ;)) is the repo released? central is not yet synch-ed
>
> It is a VOTE thread, not a RELEASE one.
>
> Nothing should be on Central.

oops, not sure why I read announce yesterday, forget it

>> 2. "java 9 fully supported": I didn't see the classloader update to
>> support multi-jar release
>
> Yes. Issue 61601.
>
>> or module-info respect (visibility+SPI),
>
> I do not understand what you mean here.
>
> There are no such feature requests in Bugzilla, nor in changelog,
> meaning nobody needs this feature.

Well this is a bit fast as answer ;) since java 9 brings new features
then fully supported would naturally mean Tomcat embraces these
features as well otherwise you can code a "standard" java 9 app and
have it not working in Tomcat. There is no issue
not supporting it yet - even Spring doesn't - but the "fully" made me
wondering if I missed a key commit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.2

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

I have 2 questions:

1. (simple ;)) is the repo released? central is not yet synch-ed
2. "java 9 fully supported": I didn't see the classloader update to
support multi-jar release or module-info respect (visibility+SPI), is

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@alibaba-inc.com>.
Hi,

The proposed 9.0.2 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
[ X ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 9.0.2
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 9.0.2

Unit test passed on JDK8, but failed on JDK9:

Testsuite: org.apache.tomcat.util.scan.TestStandardJarScanner
Tests run: 2, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.397 sec

Testcase: testWebappClassPath took 0.276 sec
        FAILED
Unexpected class loader type: jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Unexpected class loader type: jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.scan.TestStandardJarScanner.testWebappClassPath(TestStandardJarScanner.java:74)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

Testcase: skipsInvalidClasspathURLNoFilePartNoFileScheme took 0.068 sec

This is because jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader is no longer a sub class or URLClassLoader from JDK9, I can't find a easy way to work it around except for using reflection.

Examples runs fine under both JDK8 and JDK9.

Our test web application runs fine on JDK8, but failed on JDK9 (it is not a tomcat issue.)

Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
2017 Nov 26 (Sun) 05:36
Tomcat Developers List <de...@tomcat.apache.org>

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/11/17 10:40, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 10:36 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> - Fixed numerous JASPIC issues with patches from Lazar
>>

> I would have mentioned all the HTTP/2 fixes instead personally :)

Good point. I'll add a bullet point to the release announcement for
those. Something like:

- Fixed a number of HTTP/2 issues

?

Mark