Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org> on 2024/03/14 15:52:52 UTC

CVE-2024-23944: Apache ZooKeeper: Information disclosure in persistent watcher handling

Severity: critical

Affected versions:

- Apache ZooKeeper 3.9.0 through 3.9.1
- Apache ZooKeeper 3.8.0 through 3.8.3
- Apache ZooKeeper 3.6.0 through 3.7.2

Information disclosure in persistent watchers handling in Apache ZooKeeper due to missing ACL check. It allows an attacker to monitor child znodes by attaching a persistent watcher (addWatch command) to a parent which the attacker has already access to. ZooKeeper server doesn't do ACL check when the persistent watcher is triggered and as a consequence, the full path of znodes that a watch event gets triggered upon is exposed to the owner of the watcher. It's important to note that only the path is exposed by this vulnerability, not the data of znode, but since znode path can contain sensitive information like user name or login ID, this issue is potentially critical.

Users are recommended to upgrade to version 3.9.2, 3.8.4 which fixes the issue.

Credit:

周吉安(寒泉) <zh...@alibaba-inc.com> (reporter)

https://zookeeper.apache.org/
https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2024-23944

Re: CVE-2024-23944: Apache ZooKeeper: Information disclosure in persistent watcher handling

Posted by Li Wang <li...@gmail.com>.
Perfect, thanks Andor.

We will patch it ourselves.

Best,

Li

Posted by Damien Diederen <dd...@apache.org>.
Hi Andor, Li,

> […] add it to the master branch.
>
> Damien, would you please take care of that?

Yes, I will do so.

>> We are in 3.7.2 and may need to patch it ourselves.
>>
> Btw, we don't plan to fix it in the 3.7 release line, but the patch is
> already on the branch for your convenience:
> 29c7b9462681f47c2ac12e609341cf9f52abac5c

Indeed.  There was even a release candidate for 3.7.3, which is to be
abandoned.  (But see attached email in case it helps.)

Cheers, -D

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Li,

Posted by Li Wang <li...@gmail.com>.