Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2020/06/02 20:17:17 UTC

kudu-mapreduce deprecation

Hello Kudu Developers,

I have filed KUDU-3142 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KUDU-3142> to
track the idea of deprecating the kudu-mapreduce module and any
related modules. The motivation is on the description of the Jira, but I
also wanted to bring it to the
mailing list to be sure it was visible for feedback. For convenience here
is the description:

The kudu-mapreduce integration has not been improved in a couple of years
> even though there are

known outstanding issues and feature gaps. Additionally similar
> functionality and capabilities now

exist via Spark, Hive, Impala, and NiFi integrations. We should document
> the deprecation of the

kudu-mapreduce integration to notify users and so that we can remove it if
> maintenance becomes

an issue.

> Even if eventually removed, users can still use the jars published in
> older versions as needed.
> Additionally if a Hadoop InputFormat and OutputFormat is required, a much
> more modern and

maintained version is available in the Apache Hive project:

https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/master/kudu-handler/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/kudu

 Please let me know what you think of the proposal.

Thank you,
Grant
--
Grant Henke
Software Engineer | Cloudera

Re: kudu-mapreduce deprecation

Posted by Hao Hao <ha...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Sorry for the late response, +1 given the reasons you listed in the Jira.

Best,
Hao