Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Fabian Cenedese <Ce...@indel.ch> on 2006/11/10 07:49:22 UTC

svn update doesn't update text-base

Hi

I recently checked my system (WinXP) again with a virus-checker. For
some reason it didn't like some .bat files in a working copy and deleted
the main files as well as the text-base files. "No problem" I thought,
one svn update and the files should be back again. But svn bailed
out with an error as it couldn't find the text-base file. Any further
operation didn't work because there was still a lock left over. svn
cleanup didn't like this folder either. The only thing I was left with
was to rename the folder and checkout again. Then I could copy
the modified files over the fresh files. I guess I could also just
have taken over the missing text-base file.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out, that there's a problem if the
text-base file is missing. This is not about working copies without
text-base. It's a normal working copy where the text-base file
got deleted.

Would it be possible, that if a text-base file is missing that svn
would check it out again? It knows the path and version, so
that shouldn't be a problem (unless the repository is not available).
If this is not possible could svn at least better cleanup and not
leave locks behind? Is there another command that would get
the text-base files but not overwrite the possibly modified real
files?

Thanks

bye   Fabi

Re: svn update doesn't update text-base

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/06, Fabian Cenedese <Ce...@indel.ch> wrote:
> At 08:46 17.11.2006 +0100, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> >>
> >>I did something similar a few months ago (on a Gentoo system) where an
> >>automated script clobbered the contents of the .svn folder... and I
> >>agree that it's something that SVN needs to be better about dealing
> >>with.  I found it to be very difficult to clean up after the .svn
> >>folders get slightly munged.
> >>
> >>(Maybe the upcoming changes in 1.5 might deal with strange local .svn
> >>folder issues in a more flexible fashion?)
> >
> >No, svn doesn't just update the missing text-base, because to you it's
> >obvious that only the textbase is missing, but to svn the .svn area is
> >damaged. There's no way knowing if any of the other information is
> >correct or not. Better to let the user clean up the mess that was
> >created.
>
> So what's the best way of restoring a missing text-base file? Checking
> out the folder in a separate dir and copying over the missing file? Or
> is there a possibility of an "in-place-checkout" without overwriting
> modified files?

1.5 will have your in-place checkout (known as 'checkout --force'),
but I'd check out a new working copy and move changed files to the new
working copy.

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn update doesn't update text-base

Posted by Fabian Cenedese <Ce...@indel.ch>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/06, Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com> wrote:
> Fabian Cenedese wrote:
> > Would it be possible, that if a text-base file is missing that svn
> > would check it out again? It knows the path and version, so
> > that shouldn't be a problem (unless the repository is not available).
> > If this is not possible could svn at least better cleanup and not
> > leave locks behind? Is there another command that would get
> > the text-base files but not overwrite the possibly modified real
> > files?
>
> I did something similar a few months ago (on a Gentoo system) where an
> automated script clobbered the contents of the .svn folder... and I
> agree that it's something that SVN needs to be better about dealing
> with.  I found it to be very difficult to clean up after the .svn
> folders get slightly munged.
>
> (Maybe the upcoming changes in 1.5 might deal with strange local .svn
> folder issues in a more flexible fashion?)

No, svn doesn't just update the missing text-base, because to you it's
obvious that only the textbase is missing, but to svn the .svn area is
damaged. There's no way knowing if any of the other information is
correct or not. Better to let the user clean up the mess that was
created.

Also no: there's currently noone (I know of) working at relocating the
.svn area outside the working copy.

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn update doesn't update text-base