Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/03/10 13:56:56 UTC

comment on yes for vor JSR-291

I voted yes this morning for JSR-291 with the following comment :

"As we are a supporter of this JSR, and a proposed member of the Expert
Group, we would like to see this JSR begin.  Apache has an OSGi
implementation project (http://incubator.apache.org/felix/), and
therefore has an interest in how the community standardizes this
technology in the Java ecosystem.

That said, we do have concerns.  We recognize that the objections of
other EC members about "rubberstamping" should not be dismissed.
However, we believe that this is a judgment that can only be made later,
and we welcome the opportunity to bridge two technical communities and
try to remove the obvious tension between JSR-277 and OSGi.

We emphasize our interest in seeing collaborative  community engagement
in the expert group, and expect that as with any other JSR, the proposed
timeline will shift to accommodate the needs of EG as it does it's work.

Finally, we congratulate the spec lead on opening the expert group mail
list to read-only access to any interested party, and expect that there
will be no requirements for such access other than an expression of
interest.  Further, in the interest of widespread adoption, we again
urge the spec lead to create the RI and TCK as open source software,
either through a new effort, or via one of the existing open source
communities currently engaged in OSGi implementation."

Re: comment on yes for vor JSR-291

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain