Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/15 15:22:25 UTC

message group question

I would like to take advantage of the message group feature in ActiveMQ
5.1.  After reading the page (http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html),
I have a question.

Is the message group feature for multiple consumers on the same
queue/topic?

What I mean is that in the example, there are consumers interested in stocks
(IBM,MSFT, SUNW..etc).  Are these consumers all subscribed to the same
topic/queue or different topics/queues?

Assuming that these consumers all subscribe to the same topic/queue, are
there any implications with creating hundreds (or thousands) or message
groups?

Thanks.

Re: message group question

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to take advantage of the message group feature in ActiveMQ
> 5.1.  After reading the page (http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html),
> I have a question.
>
> Is the message group feature for multiple consumers on the same
> queue/topic?

yes multiple consumers on 1 queue.  (Not supported on topics)

> What I mean is that in the example, there are consumers interested in stocks
> (IBM,MSFT, SUNW..etc).  Are these consumers all subscribed to the same
> topic/queue or different topics/queues?

same queue.

> Assuming that these consumers all subscribe to the same topic/queue, are
> there any implications with creating hundreds (or thousands) or message
> groups?

No.  We use a hash calculation on the group id to select the consumer
so there is no memory issues if a large number of groups used.

> Thanks.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA