Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Michael Garski <mg...@mac.com> on 2007/05/23 19:31:14 UTC

Ram Directory (was: Result Relevance (was: Handling Duplicates(

Erich -

I do load the index into memory using a RAMDirectory, but the overhead
of repetitively pulling a field from the index as a string and parsing
out into a numerical value adds up when under load.  As my underlying
index changes only once per hour, caching all of those values into an
array saves clock cycles later when all I need to do is use the document
id as the ordinal in an array as opposed to getting the field from the
document and parsing it.

I've found that by pre-caching the stored data in the index that I need
to include with my results nearly doubled the number of searches per
second I can do, and as I have a very high volume system every bit of
performance I can squeeze out is critical to me.

Michael

unsubscribe

Posted by Sergiy Savchenko <ma...@gmail.com>.